White strings on rock

pwendlandt

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2024
Messages
38
Reaction score
5
Location
spain
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the salt water tanks and I’ve had this tank cycling for 17 days. Out of nowhere this white strings showed up on the rocks. The lights have been turned off since day one and there is currently no animals inside. There is no live rocks in the tank, they are synthetic rocks. The sand was live sand from Nature’s ocean but I added it more than a week ago so I don’t think it came from it. The ammonium levels are always at 0 and the NO2 is at 0.2 and the KH is at 8. Does anyone know what it is? Or if it’s normal?

Also any tips for the future would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the help in advanced

IMG_3831.jpeg IMG_3828.jpeg IMG_3829.jpeg IMG_3827.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Perfectly normal and it would have come from your live sand

I get this in my tank every now and then dependant on what I’m doing with the tank

It’s nothing to worry about and will go after time

It’s all about the bio culture happening in your tank right now prepare to see some weird things happening and now you have seeded your tank with live sand it will only get weirder
 
Upvote 0
Perfectly normal and it would have come from your live sand

I get this in my tank every now and then dependant on what I’m doing with the tank

It’s nothing to worry about and will go after time

It’s all about the bio culture happening in your tank right now prepare to see some weird things happening and now you have seeded your tank with live sand it will only get weirder
Thank you! You were right, they are starting to go away on their own. I decided to add some live rock fragments to speed un the cycling process and seed the other rocks, hopefully don’t see anything too strange!
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new