Are these black bugs?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw these around my cyphastrea, the cyphastrea is the only SPS I keep (other than leptastrea, but that isn't really an sps) are these black bugs? If so, will they harm my LPS and leptastrea?

The cyphastrea has been putting out alot of mesenterial filaments lately, this could explain it. What do you guys think? Are there any LPS they will Harm? Where would I get the treatment for them?

I should add that they seem to be on most of the coral glue in my system

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw these around my cyphastrea, the cyphastrea is the only SPS I keep (other than leptastrea, but that isn't really an sps) are these black bugs? If so, will they harm my LPS and leptastrea?

The cyphastrea has been putting out alot of mesenterial filaments lately, this could explain it. What do you guys think? Are there any LPS they will Harm? Where would I get the treatment for them?
Looks like it.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I should add that they seem to be on most of the coral glue in my system
These are black bugs, i have heard (unfortunately) that they do eat LPS. someone on here had success with Bayer, and someone else tried interceptor. (they did not post whether it worked)

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are black bugs, i have heard (unfortunately) that they do eat LPS. someone on here had success with Bayer, and someone else tried interceptor. (they did not post whether it worked)
What would be the best method of extermination?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best method of extermination?
i just did a little research on interceptor, and that should know them right out! i would also dip all the coral (with the bugs) and that should help as well. use the bayer dip

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just did a little research on interceptor, and that should know them right out! i would also dip all the coral (with the bugs) and that should help as well. use the bayer dip
Dipping would be a no-can-do. Very large colonies that are glued down and encrusted onto the rock. Any dosing instructions for the interceptor? Will it also kill my pod/amphipod population?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping would be a no-can-do. Very large colonies that are glued down and encrusted onto the rock. Any dosing instructions for the interceptor? Will it also kill my pod/amphipod population?
Unfortunately it will kill any crustaceans in the tank. What size is the tank? This is what I go off of.
IMG_1183.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it will kill any crustaceans in the tank. What size is the tank? This is what I go off of.
IMG_1183.jpeg
Any possible way the growth of the LPS out-compete the damage from the bugs? Asking because the black bugs have probably been in the tank for a few months by now. The tank is 120 gallons

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These are horrible! Good luck

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possible way the growth of the LPS out-compete the damage from the bugs? Asking because the black bugs have probably been in the tank for a few months by now. The tank is 120 gallons
if they have been in the tank awhile they might not mess with the LPS. Unfortunately I can’t tell you wether the growth can outcompete them. I would assume they wouldn’t grow as much with them around.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These are horrible! Good luck
Yep, looks like what's happening with my cyphastrea.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, looks like what's happening with my cyphastrea.
I did a lot of research for my own good after seeing that thread in case I ever ran across them… the only thing I could find was somebody mentioning they had them and got a few wrasses and it kept the population down. No dips or meds helped.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they have been in the tank awhile they might not mess with the LPS. Unfortunately I can’t tell you wether the growth can outcompete them. I would assume they wouldn’t grow as much with them around.
I have noticed basically no growth from this cyphastrea since I got it in august. (Which is why I assume they have been in here for some time) any fish that will control the population? Coral-only setup for now, getting a china wrasse next week.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a lot of research for my own good after seeing that thread in case I ever ran across them… the only thing I could find was somebody mentioning they had them and got a few wrasses and it kept the population down. No dips or meds helped.
Well that's great news! Picking up a china wrasse next week after almost a year of being coral-only! Also eventually wanting to keep leopard wrasse and cleaner wrasse

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's great news! Picking up a china wrasse next week after almost a year of being coral-only! Also eventually wanting to keep leopard wrasse and cleaner wrasse
The only fish I have ever heard of eating black bugs are pipefish, but there are probably more

R33fJunkies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They actually dont eat LPS thankfully been doing studies on them and trial and error on how to efficiently exterminate them. I have micro scoped videos of how they move, eat , and breed etc. Lmk if anyone intrested and would like to see videos

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 102 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back