Cysts or ‘warts’ on Yellow Clown Goby

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what Lymphocystis looks like on a yellow clown goby?
The cysts/warts are the same color as the fish’s scales, and heavily raised off the body. No signs of ich, velvet or flukes at this time.

Also, how do clown gobies fair with FW dips? I’ve never dipped one and I’m hesitant to do it if it isn’t worth it.

Sorry for the horrible pictures, I was in a rush and just quickly swapped them into my quarantine system for now away from healthy fish, there is copper in the system at 2.5 therapeutic levels
968ABA9A-4DAF-4AC2-A994-EEB6C61C14BB.jpeg
067AC3EC-C2AF-4D95-8919-4A5FA521ACCD.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cysts/warts are the same color as the fish’s scales, and heavily raised off the body. No signs of ich, velvet or flukes at this time.

Also, how do clown gobies fair with FW dips? I’ve never dipped one and I’m hesitant to do it if it isn’t worth it.

Sorry for the horrible pictures, I was in a rush and just quickly swapped them into my quarantine system for now away from healthy fish, there is copper in the system at 2.5 therapeutic levels
No, that isn’t lymphocystis. Given that the goby is in full copper, you can rule out ich, but copier sometimes cause mucus plugs, where the fish’s skin produces excess mucus. It is harmless though.
If the fish is eating well and not showing any other symptoms I would not dip it.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Looks like a skin irritation but also noted is that fish is very thin, at least as appears from top view.
What are you feeding it, and is eating and breathing normal ?
They are susceptible to fatty liver disease and need to be kept well fed.

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that isn’t lymphocystis. Given that the goby is in full copper, you can rule out ich, but copier sometimes cause mucus plugs, where the fish’s skin produces excess mucus. It is harmless though.
If the fish is eating well and not showing any other symptoms I would not dip it.
Jay
Looks like a skin irritation but also noted is that fish is very thin, at least as appears from top view.
What are you feeding it, and is eating and breathing normal ?
They are susceptible to fatty liver disease and need to be kept well fed.
Also there is two of them and they have the same symptoms, but they came from the same shipment.

The fish were just placed in copper after finding these, just in case it’s a secondary symptom to ich, so this probably isn’t copper related. They’ve undergone a 3 day treatment of prazipro at a double dose (had resistant flukes in the past and a double dose knocked it out, hopefully its not brewing again lol), it would have been a 7 day treatment but I worry that ich can hide so easily that they should go into the copper now as well as a preventative.

They’ve only been in store for 4ish days, their shipment got delayed on the plane for an extra day so came in extra skinny, they’ve been getting mysis shrimp and brine shrimp 1-2x per day, but were in a system with lots of live mysid shrimp and copepods of different sizes so had a constant food source. They’re now in a copper system so will get 2-3x a day of a mixed diet.

They eat very well and the breathing is normal.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there is two of them and they have the same symptoms, but they came from the same shipment.

The fish were just placed in copper after finding these, just in case it’s a secondary symptom to ich, so this probably isn’t copper related. They’ve undergone a 3 day treatment of prazipro at a double dose (had resistant flukes in the past and a double dose knocked it out, hopefully its not brewing again lol), it would have been a 7 day treatment but I worry that ich can hide so easily that they should go into the copper now as well as a preventative.

They’ve only been in store for 4ish days, their shipment got delayed on the plane for an extra day so came in extra skinny, they’ve been getting mysis shrimp and brine shrimp 1-2x per day, but were in a system with lots of live mysid shrimp and copepods of different sizes so had a constant food source. They’re now in a copper system so will get 2-3x a day of a mixed diet.

They eat very well and the breathing is normal.

Oh, if the fish were JUST placed into copper, it takes a minimum of 72 hours to knock ich out using copper, so I think those might be residual trophonts....

Jay

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, if the fish were JUST placed into copper, it takes a minimum of 72 hours to knock ich out using copper, so I think those might be residual trophonts....

Jay
They seem super large for trophonts is my only concern, unless its causing a reaction on the skin of the goby to form a larger cyst around the parasite?

Hopefully it goes away with copper, frequent water changes, and a good diet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem super large for trophonts is my only concern, unless its causing a reaction on the skin of the goby to form a larger cyst around the parasite?

Hopefully it goes away with copper, frequent water changes, and a good diet.

Actually, your point is valid - for some reason, gobies with ich seem to show very large trophonts. I do not know why. It may be a relative size thing (the spots just look larger on a small goby?) or it may be some atypical skin reaction that gobies have. Many times, I've been fooled with pictures of a small neon goby with huge spots, and later having it turn out to be ich after all.

Jay

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, your point is valid - for some reason, gobies with ich seem to show very large trophonts. I do not know why. It may be a relative size thing (the spots just look larger on a small goby?) or it may be some atypical skin reaction that gobies have. Many times, I've been fooled with pictures of a small neon goby with huge spots, and later having it turn out to be ich after all.

Jay
I will continue to treat for ich then, thank you! Some fish react oddly to the parasite tbh

OP
OP
vaguelyreeflike

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I got a closer look today and there is definitely little white spots inside the cysts. Good to know this is what ich looks like on these guys

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back