OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to completely redo all my drain plumbing today, including the BeanAnimal valves.

When I originally plumbed it, the main siphon and the emergency drain crossed over the middle section of the sump where my filter canisters are supposed to go. Since I don't have them yet, I wasn't even thinking that the plumbing was going to be in the way of the canisters, especially removing/installing them. I was too focused on making sure I had a nice slope which would allow the siphon to start with no issues. But when talking to Jeff the other day about shipping the canisters this coming week, it occurred to me that we had a problem. Doh!

And on top of that, I wanted to gain a little more space inside the outer overflow box between the two sets of bulkheads. It was very difficult to squeeze the 90 elbows in there, even with the shallow bulkheads. So I flipped the outer bulkheads around so the threads were on the outside instead of the inside.

So it all had to be redone!
More time, more money.

So here it is now.
The two 1.5" white lines are the ones I'm talking about.
The 1" black lines are the drain from the frag tank and the feed to the refugium, which as of last night is finally up and running, btw.
Supposed to pick up some chaeto from someone this weekend.

i-pcnktZj.jpg

i-gF4KF9x.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So clean man. I'm going to stop by one day n check out ur setup in person. :)

Thanks! :)
Come by one weekend if you're on the west side.

--------------------

Been so fraggin busy getting the fraggin frag tank stocked with fraggin frags. :)
Lots more to frag, too.

i-3BXkTVz.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another shot under actinic only.
I have a few mangrove seeds in the overflow waiting on the mangrove tank to arrive.

i-ZdqrQ4x.jpg

And I picked up a big softball sized bunch of chaeto from a friendly local reefer today.
I usually don't have much luck with this stuff so we'll see how it goes!

i-B6scbnp.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that's what I'm talking about... excellent progress Dennis, looks great my friend!!!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cutting board inspired me to get a custom cut piece of HDPE for my work stand in the fish room :-D
Awesome! :thumb:

LOL! You already need a bigger "fraggin' frag" frag tank. :) Great work as usual man! Definitely a sweet upgrade all around!
haha, yeah... remember Dan Carvey singing "Chopping Broccoli"?
That's me cutting big chunks of my old coral. I call it "Chopping Colony". Chopping col-o-neeeeeeee!!! :drum:

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few months of work, it sure is nice to FINALLY have a reef to take pics of again. :bounce1:
So here's a few new pics!

This guy joined the family not long before the tear down so I never had a chance to shoot his mug. So here's his first pic...

i-GMJ9Grj.jpg

And some of the coral that made it through the process...

i-TGwxLVt.jpg

i-S5Lnp8X.jpg

i-2LHQvnz.jpg

i-Xvw3Jgg.jpg

i-Dt2gLKK.jpg

i-hRQks7f.jpg

i-PLKGCb4.jpg

i-kHCfGMP.jpg

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those photo's are absolutely incredible mate!! Glad to hear everyone made it through the tank redo okay :) The tank and setup is looking amazing!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those photo's are absolutely incredible mate!! Glad to hear everyone made it through the tank redo okay :) The tank and setup is looking amazing!

Thanks!

But not everyone made it. Lost a sweet aussie gold torch right away and several fish.
Sustainable Aquatics Black Ice Clown and Red Flame Hawkfish for no apparent reason.
Powder Brown got stuck to skimmer pump input when the strainer fell off.
And my favorite, my Desjardini Sailfin went MIA within the first 24hrs of being back in the new tank, again reason completely unknown.

So it wasn't without losses, but glad to have everything else back where it belongs in a stable environment.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

But not everyone made it. Lost a sweet aussie gold torch right away and several fish.
Sustainable Aquatics Black Ice Clown and Red Flame Hawkfish for no apparent reason.
Powder Brown got stuck to skimmer pump input when the strainer fell off.
And my favorite, my Desjardini Sailfin went MIA within the first 24hrs of being back in the new tank, again reason completely unknown.

So it wasn't without losses, but glad to have everything else back where it belongs in a stable environment.

Sorry to hear you lost some awesome fish :( hopefully your Desjardini turns up again though!
I'd imagine it would be a huge relief having everyone back in the tank and things running again!! It's looking really amazing

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous pics!! Sorry about the losses! :(

Sorry to hear you lost some awesome fish :( hopefully your Desjardini turns up again though!
I'd imagine it would be a huge relief having everyone back in the tank and things running again!! It's looking really amazing

Thanks for the comments!
Coral losses I was expecting. Not fish. And not when i got them back in the new tank, previously cycled and all old rock used.
It's been weeks now... no way that big sail fin is magically going to reappear. Still don't know a fish that size manages to vanish.
Oh well, carp happens.
Moving on! :)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back