OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the 300DD, what's your opinion - 400W or 250W? I personally plan on keeping my acros up higher and supplementing with blue LED's. I know 250W units would be easier on the utility bill. LPS on the bottom along with my ginormous 16" squamosa...
What are those again... 27" tall? If so, I still think you'd be fine with the 250w.
I can grow sps on the sand bed. Actually, some like my ORA bird of paradise HAVE to go down on the sand bed to do well.
You can also play with reflectors (if doing a retro, not a fixture)... some spread the light more and some focus the light more.

Slm222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this picture you have what I believe are some filter feeders, the purple ones with the coiled like structure and tube that sticks up... I have them in my tank and they irritate me growing on frag plugs

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1446348148.777544.jpg

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, and you can always call and talk to Jeff. He's the one who answers the phone but be prepared to talk skimmers for the next hour. lol ;)
Dennis, you were not kidding, 45 min of skimmer talk! Good guy, and passionate about his skimmers. Thanks again for the tip

SeattlesDarko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good (as always)... Remember when you had just a little 46g bow front! I was surprised to see you went back to MH. The biggest shock... What is this Olympus Camera you speak of.... NIKON-4-ever!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks good (as always)... Remember when you had just a little 46g bow front! I was surprised to see you went back to MH. The biggest shock... What is this Olympus Camera you speak of.... NIKON-4-ever!
Oh my gosh! What's up girl?! :D

You know i'm a camera ho too. Always have my nikons, the Oly was for goofing around with the family but I sold that and went back to Leica, which I had before the Oly. ;)

SeattlesDarko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to get inspired! I really want to get my tank set up its currently in a garbage can (w/ heated SW) I moved a year ago and our new house has some 'power issues' I am hoping to have an electrician in the next few months. My wife (that happened) set up a planted FW tank but its not the same, lol and really not fun to take photos of. Leica, that seems better :)

I am glad to see you are still up and running, a link to your 130g was just posted in a FB group I still look at. I had to hunt this page down a little.

Last edited:
OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to get inspired! I really want to get my tank set up its currently in a garbage can (w/ heated SW) I moved a year ago and our new house has some 'power issues' I am hoping to have an electrician in the next few months. My wife (that happened) set up a planted FW tank but its not the same, lol and really not fun to take photos of. Leica, that seems better :)

I am glad to see you are still up and running, a link to your 130g was just posted in a FB group I still look at. I had to hunt this page down a little.
Woot! Congrats!
There's some sweet tanks here, plenty of inspiration to get you going. ;)
This tank has come down (we moved again too) but I'm already planning the next one.

w.gurney77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could have moved that fish room of yours to my house lol! That is my inspiration for the room I'm adding in to the house my wife and I are building.

ShinerMaginer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! I spent hours this weekend reading through this thread, making notes, comparing with my plan, and find out at the END that you have to rip it all apart? This is like one of those movies that you get to the end of and go what the heck? THAT'S how it ENDS? WTFFFFF! But man, what a tank, what a project, what a thread. I have learned so much just from this one thread, so thanks d2mini!. Hope you were able to sell and find a new house and start a new fishroom that I can be jealous over!

gfordQC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! I spent hours this weekend reading through this thread, making notes, comparing with my plan, and find out at the END that you have to rip it all apart? This is like one of those movies that you get to the end of and go what the heck? THAT'S how it ENDS? WTFFFFF! But man, what a tank, what a project, what a thread. I have learned so much just from this one thread, so thanks d2mini!. Hope you were able to sell and find a new house and start a new fishroom that I can be jealous over!

Here is his latest and yes i can/will make you just as jealous as the other..
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/d2minis-essential-focus-mixed-reef-build.241805/

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you purchase this vat from ?
Alrighty....

PLUMBING DONE!
I was mostly able to use various chunks of plumbing from my old setup. :D
That's why it looks a little wonky, but it works and saves me some cash.
So the return pump and chiller are hooked up and running.
Next I need to do a big water change, place the skimmer, and then start transferring stuff.

i-Jtzmv8V.jpg

i-rVWMLCW.jpg
ete
Alrighty....

PLUMBING DONE!
I was mostly able to use various chunks of plumbing from my old setup. :D
That's why it looks a little wonky, but it works and saves me some cash.
So the return pump and chiller are hooked up and running.
Next I need to do a big water change, place the skimmer, and then start transferring stuff.

i-Jtzmv8V.jpg

i-rVWMLCW.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back