d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.
You can definitely count on a new build at some point in 2016.
If you know me, you know I don't just slap a tank in a corner of a room and call it a day.
First thing's first, but once we are settled in a new house there will be lots to think about and contemplate before starting a build. Gotta get it just right! ;)

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i know how taxing the long commutes can be, and i know you are very active in the forums, on all your threads, so maybe you can impress us with another cube, or built in, or lagoon, or what ever floats your fancy for the next build. (a drop off tank perhaps?)
I hate moving, and i hate moving with a fish tank even more, but i wish you the best of luck to you and your family.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear your are tearing it down. Where are you wanting to move in Houston? My sister lives on the corner of Waugh and West Dallas. It is a nice part of town, except for the 2 hours when people are coming and going to work. LOL

BTW, Where did you get your dinner table. It looks really nice!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i know how taxing the long commutes can be, and i know you are very active in the forums, on all your threads, so maybe you can impress us with another cube, or built in, or lagoon, or what ever floats your fancy for the next build. (a drop off tank perhaps?)
I hate moving, and i hate moving with a fish tank even more, but i wish you the best of luck to you and your family.
Thanks! I'm sure I'll think of something. ;)

Sorry to hear your are tearing it down. Where are you wanting to move in Houston? My sister lives on the corner of Waugh and West Dallas. It is a nice part of town, except for the 2 hours when people are coming and going to work. LOL

BTW, Where did you get your dinner table. It looks really nice!
Ah, by Jack in the Box. haha
My office is one block over at dunlavy/west dallas. ;)
We are looking at timber grove and oak forest areas.

Table came from Macys.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, Dude! She lives in that apartment complex right next to the Whole Foods. I was over there one night at around 2am and they wouldn't let me in the Jack in the Box to eat because only the drive thru was open. But when I tried to walk thru and order they said I had to have a car.....I wasn't about to drive down from the top floor of that complex for a Jr Bacon Cheeseburger.

What is the name of your business? Is it your photography?

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the year of the iconic tank tear down...[emoji17][emoji17][emoji17]. First v1rotate A Reef in the Sky, now yours... What's next?

All the best for you and your family. As the (80s) saying goes, "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going". Hope to hear from you soon!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, Dude! She lives in that apartment complex right next to the Whole Foods. I was over there one night at around 2am and they wouldn't let me in the Jack in the Box to eat because only the drive thru was open. But when I tried to walk thru and order they said I had to have a car.....I wasn't about to drive down from the top floor of that complex for a Jr Bacon Cheeseburger.

What is the name of your business? Is it your photography?
LOL!
Ya, i watched them build that place. I go to whole paycheck for lunch occasionally.
I used to commute to work by bicycle some days when I was only 12 miles from the office, not 33. lol
I did the same thing... rolled through the drive through for breakfast. hahaha They gave me a hard time but I got my food anyway.
My photos stuff is freelance. I work for a place called CMA. It's a Graphic Design studio. Mostly packaging graphics. Tell your sister that the new Coke bottles with Italy graphics sold at Kroger are mine. haha

Boa1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good d2 glad to see you get the props that you deserve man. I still remember when we switched back to the Cebu Halides and you diddnt want to upset the Radion guys cause you were a tester for them. Oh well it looks like you made the right move. You are truly one of the hobbiest that have put some real money into this never ending hole we enjoy so much!

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Dennis, I was curious...I know i have followed your last couple of builds, and you always do things right. Are you planning on going with another or with the same life reef skimmer for "the next one?"

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good d2 glad to see you get the props that you deserve man. I still remember when we switched back to the Cebu Halides and you diddnt want to upset the Radion guys cause you were a tester for them. Oh well it looks like you made the right move. You are truly one of the hobbiest that have put some real money into this never ending hole we enjoy so much!
haha, thanks! Stay tuned for more... ;)

Amazing build I'm so jealous mayb one day I'll get to turn one my kids bedroom into a fish room lol
lol, dang kids... always getting in the way!

hey Dennis, I was curious...I know i have followed your last couple of builds, and you always do things right. Are you planning on going with another or with the same life reef skimmer for "the next one?"
I would definitely use a lifereef again. Whether i can use this specific model i have on the next tank will depend on the size of the next tank and stand.
The only other skimmer I would consider, which i think is a similar size, is the MVX line from MTC (Marine Technical Concepts). The only thing they don't seem to have is the airline running to the cup to draw moist air into the venturi to keep it from clogging but that's an easy mod to do.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's just some of the colonies that I have been selling off.
Amazing when you think back to getting small frags and ending up with these colonies after a year or two or three, even with some fragging here and there.
If anyone is in the houston area let me know... still have a few bigger pieces of sps left.

i-4TqtgdH.jpg

i-3D4MV5B.jpg

i-9PvxDXk.jpg

i-DGpfgXv.jpg

i-Wgr3xB7.jpg

i-TdLZJsH.jpg

i-BcsV6xM.jpg

i-xX3zqD9.jpg

i-4dXLf8G.jpg

i-hF25mCt.jpg

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, thanks! Stay tuned for more... ;)

lol, dang kids... always getting in the way!

I would definitely use a lifereef again. Whether i can use this specific model i have on the next tank will depend on the size of the next tank and stand.
The only other skimmer I would consider, which i think is a similar size, is the MVX line from MTC (Marine Technical Concepts). The only thing they don't seem to have is the airline running to the cup to draw moist air into the venturi to keep it from clogging but that's an easy mod to do.
Awesome thanks, I'll look into those skimmers too.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have been an inspiration. Thanks for your many contributions. My Fishroom was designed after yours. Here's to hoping that your transition goes smoothly. Good luck

kattz

Old surfer dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, I've started on my fish room design for the 300DD. As Black Pearl said, you've been a huge inspiration. Copying that cube stand design for my 150DD was 6 hours of AutoCAD modeling alone!

If you had it to do over again, would you have started with the 400W X 3 Cebu Sun fixture?

Best,

Kevin

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

Kevin, no... i definitely would have stayed with the 250w since my tank was only 24" deep, and also I could only go so high with the fixture due to the rearward slant. The cebu is around 10" off the water.

kattz

Old surfer dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in the 300DD, what's your opinion - 400W or 250W? I personally plan on keeping my acros up higher and supplementing with blue LED's. I know 250W units would be easier on the utility bill. LPS on the bottom along with my ginormous 16" squamosa...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back