*d2mini's 200g Reeftastic Reef - Part Deux!*

FireEMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, thats the one that I have. I'll try it out and see where the water line ends up. If not I'll try the adjustable arm type. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=23176&gclid=COn69dPQ_scCFdccgQodFdgPbg

The only thing I don't like about the adjustable type is the wing nut might loosen up.

Then do you have a valve that cuts off at the RODI unit when the back pressure gets to high?

My RODI unit is from BRS and it has the cut off valve built in. It will shut off the waste line when the float valve shuts off.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I posted these here but it was just a link to the blog post on lighting.
It's the latest pic I have but its only a couple weeks old. :)
http://www.everydayreef.com/blog/2015/8/12/metal-halide-t5-led-oh-my

i-HfvBpv8.jpg

I followed your build on RC for a while, I am glad to see all the updates, the fish room looks amazing! your corals have gotten huge despite the transition period, very nice.
I took some inspiration from you and am in the process of taking advantage of all 3 light technologies too. Each with its own personality. Although i am just now starting to get back in the hobby, check out what i did to my Giesemann light.

Red Sea REEFER 450 build: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-reefer-450-white-tiger.211634/

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into getting aluminum wire to start shaping your mangrove branches? I have started doing it on mine and it is working out well.

Also, that radion isn't much light for mangroves. If yours are growing tall rather than bushy, you need more light. I have nice compact bushy growth with my halide.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I have plans to get the wire just haven't yet. I had a 150w grow lamp over them but had to give up one of my high powered lamps in the fish room so that one had to go. The Radion does ok for now.

BumsParadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record, your tank is my favorite.
How are you liking your Sea Sweeps on you return?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the record, your tank is my favorite.
How are you liking your Sea Sweeps on you return?
Thanks! :)
Love the sea swirls. Should have gotten them from the start!
Such a no brainer. Completely silent and adds random flow instead of same direction 24/7? Why not?!

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini I wanted to ask why you chose to go with life reef? I haven't heard of them to much, and was curious as to why you went with them?

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life reef is one of the best around! Many claim it to be the best. I've seen several experts with amazing tanks (like d2mini here) using life reef, esp their skimmers

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gettaReef like I mentioned I just came across them mainly due to this thread, I am finding it interesting the debate between needle wheel and ventri, I like my vertex skimmer, I love how quiet it is, I remember the ventri skimmers I had when I first started reefing were pretty loud.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gettaReef like I mentioned I just came across them mainly due to this thread, I am finding it interesting the debate between needle wheel and ventri, I like my vertex skimmer, I love how quiet it is, I remember the ventri skimmers I had when I first started reefing were pretty loud.
I hated my vertex alpha 250. It was oversize for the tank, but the needle wheel wore out, it had THREE different adjustments making it hard to dial in, I was always fighting with it.
Life reef is set and forget, keeps on chugging along, no proprietary pump, never overflows/goes crazy as long as your sump water level stays consistent... the only thing I have to do is empty the cup every few days and give it a deep clean once or twice a year.
Plus you get a 10 year warranty and its made right here in the usa.

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hated my vertex alpha 250. It was oversize for the tank, but the needle wheel wore out, it had THREE different adjustments making it hard to dial in, I was always fighting with it.
Life reef is set and forget, keeps on chugging along, no proprietary pump, never overflows/goes crazy as long as your sump water level stays consistent... the only thing I have to do is empty the cup every few days and give it a deep clean once or twice a year.
Plus you get a 10 year warranty and its made right here in the usa.
Yes, it did take me a while to dail my vertex in. I appreciate the "why" behind ur purchase. I will continue my discussions with them then thanks again.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it did take me a while to dail my vertex in. I appreciate the "why" behind ur purchase. I will continue my discussions with them then thanks again.
No problem, and you can always call and talk to Jeff. He's the one who answers the phone but be prepared to talk skimmers for the next hour. lol ;)

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh yes, oddly I too also have a vertex (Vertex Omega 180i), but unlike d2mini I love mine! It also took quite a long time to dial in but now that it has, oh boy! I would like to give Lifereef a try some day as well

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is with a mix of emotions that I present to you the LAST pic of my reef! :eek: :(

i-tbtXcJJ.jpg

Life changes and you have to roll with it.
We decided as a family that it would be better for us overall to move back into Houston proper to be closer to work, city activities, etc so our home is up for sale! The long daily commute has taken it's toll on the wife and I and it's not fair to the kids either. Family takes priority! Hobbies are hobbies.

At this time I'm not sure what the future holds as far as the reef hobby is concerned. Anyone who knows me knows that I am very passionate about the hobby and there WILL be another tank in my future, I just don't know what that is at this time. I do know that the new (to us) house will be half the size, so I doubt there will be a separate fish room this time, or a tank of this size. That's ok though. This build was a fun adventure over the past 4 years and even if the next tank is smaller in scale, I have still learned a lot and hope to use that knowledge to create an amazing new tank no matter the size.

You may be wondering what my plans are for the current tank. Obviously the easiest thing would be to sell it with the house, especially being so built in. But we all know chances are slim that the new buyer would be interested. At any rate, I figure most people don't care much about coral so I have already started selling off colonies. In the end, I would bet that the tank will be torn down and sold off. I will keep some equipment that could be used on the next tank like controller, reactors, etc. Some equipment will get sold. It's even possible the cabinetry will get removed just to make the room look bigger and put it back to "stock" spec so to speak.

Some coral I would like to keep, especially the higher end pieces. At least frags of it. So will be replacing my 10g fusion at my office with an IM Lagoon 25. This way I can hold on to my favorite stuff and then eventually transfer or frag it to the next tank at home. I will start a build on that soon, as soon as the tank and stand arrive at my LFS. What a downgrade/transition that will be! :D

So for now, I'll be selling coral, keeping the house tidy, and trying to get it sold in a slowwwww market. Will keep ya'll updated if we find a new place.
Keep an eye out in the nano forum if you are interested in the Lagoon build. I'll come back and put a link in here.

And thanks for all the support, help, encouragement, etc over the past 4 years!
It means a lot that ya'll care enough to read my dribble, look at my photos, ask questions... and I love reading when people actually benefit from it.
That's the best part. :)

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek:what?
Best of luck Dennis, and you are 100% right Family First!!! but something tells me a new build is in your future!

Last edited:

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ride the wave brother it always comes back to shore. I have been quietly following this for some time and understand your struggle. Through life's challenges I've been trying to get back to reefing since '08. Gathering, tinkering, reading. I knew that someday it would happen again. Just keep the faith and the passion and it will happen. I am almost there myself. If you ever need a good dependable hand to help with your build don't hesitate to reach out to me as I also love to learn from others and am a native Houstonion.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's certainly good news that your lives will get easier but I will definitely miss your tank. I have drawn inspiration from it on many things. From equipment to photography the overall esthetics well done. Thank you for sharing the journey and the very best to you going forward.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back