*d2mini's 200g Reeftastic Reef - Part Deux!*

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by d2mini, Oct 23, 2014.

1. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Soon, i hope! :)
    Been so busy with non-reef related stuff recently. If there is anything in particular you want to see let me know!

In all honestly, the regulator build was just for fun. :)
    The AP doser I was using before was working flawlessly. But then someone on ReefCentral started a thread showing all these high end custom regs and they just looked so darn sexy. lol
    So I slowly grabbed parts from eBay and then built it up over the past 7 months or so. Once I hooked it up and dialed it in, it seems so stable and high quality that I figured I'd keep this and sell the AP.

If you don't want to build your own and just want something to work out of the box, get the AP. You can't go wrong with it.
    If you enjoy building your own stuff and want the most durable, stable, highest quality reg you can get for the same price as the AP or just a little bit more, look into creating your own.
    Here's the thread with all the step by step and other info. :)
    http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2461771

2. namkiii

namkiii Member

Are you in Dallas?

3. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

No, my location is listed in my profile under my avatar

<----- right here

4. TaylorPilot

TaylorPilot Valuable Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

I think all the things you have done so far have been great. Also, your photography is excellent!

d2mini likes this.
  5. d2mini

Thanks! :)

6. gettaReef

gettaReef Valuable Member

Attached Files:

7. d2mini

Yep, very similar. I have that same bubble counter, too. But decided not to use it since I have one on my reactor and the needle valve I picked up is vertical rather than horizontal.
    The regs aren't as expensive when new as my Parker Veriflow but it doesn't matter, either of those will last a lifetime for us. Good prices for those complete setups.

8. FarmerTy

FarmerTy Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

Breaks my heart that I missed out on the carbon doser. I've been looking for a used one for forever!

I was just cruising the "Marsian market" the other day and saw the post and it being sold and I just about lost it! Haha.

The new setup looks great!

d2mini likes this.
  9. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Cyber Monday Sponsor

Even your equipment photos are great! HA!

d2mini likes this.
  10. d2mini

Tahoe61, TaylorPilot and ritter6788 like this.
  11. swayd

swayd Well-Known Member

Great post!

d2mini likes this.
  12. d2mini

Thanks! :)

13. swayd

swayd Well-Known Member

I have been debating my LEDs lately and tried T5 for about 5 minutes and switched back because of how flat it was lol. I did love my old halides but heat was a huge issue and I didn't want to run a chiller. I have seen the new kessil and oh my lawd is it amazing. I was told it will retail for about $800 so it will be a bit pricey but wow that thing is def worth it in my opinion. I might gut my T5 fixture and throw my LEDs in there and see what happens. I love your light set up though, thanks for sharing those pictures with different elements on at the different times.

14. gtbarsi

gtbarsi Well-Known Member

Great post! You definitely addressed all light spectrum and coverage issues, but also will have to deal with all of the pains each lighting source brings. Hopefully the heat and increased cost to run the MH and T5 does not cause you more problems than you are ready to address.

I can't afford the cost to run, cool, and maintain MH lighting, so after I move, and get a new system setup I plan on lighting using LED +T5. I will be going the DIY route, at the moment my plans call for a 6 channel solution, building off of a (5000K) neutral white, and includes Royal Blue, Cool Blue, Cyan, Lime, and violet. I've decided to go with out any optics, and pack the LEDs tight together. The lack of optics and the close proximity should allow for good color blending, but it will be directional as you point out in your post. That is why I am adding T5s to it to fill in the lower light areas, and any spectrum gaps. I will use a bluefish controller, probably the mini to make controlling the LEDs manageable.

In the end I am sure that I will spend as much as it would cost to light my tank with some of the more popular brand LED lights, but it should be a better overall solution. If I am lucky it might begin to compare with a solution such as yours.

15. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member Partner Member 2018 Moderator Emeritus Build Thread Contributor

My compliments to the author of that blog. I enjoyed it immensely, and the pieces is professional written. Thanks :)

16. TaylorPilot

I read your new blog. I completely agree with your take on LED. You have to group them tight to cut down on disco effect, creating bright spots and shadows. I had an idea in my head of having a large dome shaped cluster that shined up into a reflector similar a MH reflector or car headlight. I think that would give a good light spread that hit the water at a perpendicular angle. It would eliminate disco effect, give good spread and reduce shadowing. Now someone just needs to start building them. LOL

gtbarsi likes this.
  17. d2mini

Thanks! We all need to find our own way and use what works for our own particular situation. Best of luck to you! :)

Thanks, and best of luck to you as well! :)
    I am lucky that our electricity is only $.09 kw/hr so we're not talking all that much more than LED. I had done the math before switching and saw that not including a chiller, the lights themselves would cost me around $100 extra per year. That's nothing.
    The chiller is costing me about $22/month in the summer now that I added a couple fans in the canopy. Was costing me around $32.

Much appreciated! I finally designed a logo for it now too. :)

Yep, i've seen a few interesting ideas out there. Hopefully someone figures it out soon!

18. gtbarsi

I was thinking something similar, a small array of high powered LEDs (10-12 watts of white + 24-30 watts of RB, + 12 watts of HV, +6-9 watts each of CB,CY,LI) the issue is going to be heat. The LEDs are on top and that is where the heat is going to concentrate, how do you cool it? The only thing I could think of is I block of AL with a really custom heat pipe setup going through it that goes out from the base and around the outside of the reflector to a cooling radiator with a good fan. Even still the LEDs are going to run hot since the cooler will be trying to draw the heat down.

19. TaylorPilot

I was thinking heat pipes right up the middle, kind of looking like a satellite dish. It would be expensive to manufacture, but if 1 could replace a single 400 MH, I think you could get 1200 for one easily.

20. gtbarsi

That could work well though it kills the image I had of a single large white LED in the dead middle. The LEDs would have to ring around the heat pipe coming out of the center.

Draft saved Draft deleted