d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto Death Star update vid! :D
2-3 weeks of growth since that first vid.

[video=youtube;vyc9fdCe244]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyc9fdCe244[/video]

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That ball is very cool... The growth on it is amazing...

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barber, Just a little off the top pls... lol
i-M8KMH4S.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an FTS. :)
I finally got the last of the bigger colonies cut down and attached to the rock.
Still have some coloring up to do on some of the SPS, still getting used to the new tank.

And this shows my current bulb combo with the three stages, written at the bottom of each pic.

i-dNjcmzm.jpg

i-8Tx7Cst.jpg

i-bqSggwz.jpg

Tstead_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an incredible set up!! I am in the process of putting together my own tank (60x30x27) I'd like to talk with you about your fish room if at all possible and some of the component you are curently using.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an incredible set up!! I am in the process of putting together my own tank (60x30x27) I'd like to talk with you about your fish room if at all possible and some of the component you are curently using.
Thanks!
Sure, ask away. That's why my thread is here. :)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has your experience with Jeff from LifeReef been? As well as his equpiment and build quality?
Jeff is a good guy. A little eccentric, but a good guy.
His build quality is great. Maybe not always as "polished" as some of the high end custom builders, but his stuff is meant to be used, not put on display, ya know?
Everything he builds is tried and true. He'll customize whatever you want. His stuff just works. No nonsense.
His skimmer rocks and is my favorite piece of equipment from him.

Tstead_504

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff is a good guy. A little eccentric, but a good guy.
His build quality is great. Maybe not always as "polished" as some of the high end custom builders, but his stuff is meant to be used, not put on display, ya know?
Everything he builds is tried and true. He'll customize whatever you want. His stuff just works. No nonsense.
His skimmer rocks and is my favorite piece of equipment from him.

Great, thats pretty much the same feeling I got from him when talking on the phone. Seems to know his product very well and is extremely confident about it. What are you running in your canisters in the sump? Also, who is the manufacturer of your calcium reactor? and what brand media are you running?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confident would be an understatement. ;)

Right now i'm just running carbon. My nitrates are pretty much undetectable and po4 is still within reason.
So the other two are empty and I don't even have the biopellet reactor yet.

The CaRx is a LifeReef too.
If you go this route, definitely plan on either getting the Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser or look into building a high quality two stage regulator.
How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor. - Reef Central Online Community
I had issues with dialing in the regulator he sent me with the needle valve. Way too touchy.
And I had terrible time trying to get the Coarse ARM media to dissolve. Finally switched to Two Little Fishies REBORN media and this made all the difference.
Now I ditched the little RIO feed pump and run a Cole-Parmer Masterflex pump for ultimate control/consistent effluent flow.
This is a great thread on that.
Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread - Reef Central Online Community

Here's my setup. The clear tubing on the right runs to the barbed fitting in the side of the sump. That's the effluent output line.
The Co2 tank is located outside the fish room, just on the other side of that left wall.

i-7VBxsvM-L.jpg

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confident would be an understatement. ;)

Right now i'm just running carbon. My nitrates are pretty much undetectable and po4 is still within reason.
So the other two are empty and I don't even have the biopellet reactor yet.

The CaRx is a LifeReef too.
If you go this route, definitely plan on either getting the Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser or look into building a high quality two stage regulator.
How to build a CO2 regulator for your calcium reactor. - Reef Central Online Community
I had issues with dialing in the regulator he sent me with the needle valve. Way too touchy.
And I had terrible time trying to get the Coarse ARM media to dissolve. Finally switched to Two Little Fishies REBORN media and this made all the difference.
Now I ditched the little RIO feed pump and run a Cole-Parmer Masterflex pump for ultimate control/consistent effluent flow.
This is a great thread on that.
Official: Masterflex Calcium Reactor Setup Thread - Reef Central Online Community

Here's my setup. The clear tubing on the right runs to the barbed fitting in the side of the sump. That's the effluent output line.
The Co2 tank is located outside the fish room, just on the other side of that left wall.

i-7VBxsvM-L.jpg

The lighting in the pic makes it looks like Poseidon himself delivered the unit! :lol:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 58 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back