d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Denis I was looking over some of your past build from the 130g cube to the 200g display tank , and I had a question regarding aquarium controllers? On your Cube build which I love ( by the way ) you went with the Reefkeeper Lite ,then for the 200g build is when you went to the ProfiLux controller. I was honestly wondering why you never went with Neptune APEX system . Or is there something that you do not like with Neptune? Now on the Elos 120xl you are going with the ProfiLux again. I honestly have been looking at controls for my slow Reef build and I am just trying to figure out which controller would be the way to go for the aquarium and for my self? Look forward to your comment ..

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Denis I was looking over some of your past build from the 130g cube to the 200g display tank , and I had a question regarding aquarium controllers? On your Cube build which I love ( by the way ) you went with the Reefkeeper Lite ,then for the 200g build is when you went to the ProfiLux controller. I was honestly wondering why you never went with Neptune APEX system . Or is there something that you do not like with Neptune? Now on the Elos 120xl you are going with the ProfiLux again. I honestly have been looking at controls for my slow Reef build and I am just trying to figure out which controller would be the way to go for the aquarium and for my self? Look forward to your comment ..

Hi Clayton,
For the record, I hated that RKL. A paint to program, a bigger pain to do firmware updates, horrendous support, not user friendly at all.
When looking for something new I was interested in Apex. During my research I came across GHL. Some things started to become obvious.
1) You see pretty much ZERO accounts of failures with Profilux. Google it and see for yourself. With Apex, there seem to be more than I was comfortable with.
2) If something does go wrong with the Profilux, most stuff is fixable at home. They just send you the parts. Much less down time.
3) It's upgradeable. Buy once.
4) I got in before Apex Fusion was around. At that time, it was the easiest to program. There was never any programming language to learn. Just choose from pulldown menus or type in numerical values.
5) All profilux equipment is built like a tank, and nothing is rushed to market. You should see their PowerBars in person. And the software/firmware is just as robust and full of safeties.

GHL's downside.... has always been customer service and parts/accessories availability.
But they have made good strides in both areas over the past year. There is now a USA based office and warehouse.
And customer service has been improving as they better understand the needs of us needy Americans. ;)
The user base us much lower than Apex so sometimes getting questions answered on the forums is a little frustrating.

In the end, yes I'm still using the Profilux for this build and went with their doser as well.
I won't trust thousands of dollars worth of livestock to anything else.

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny you mention that Dennis, my apex PM2 module just gave out on me this weekend. Tempurture was reading 489 degrees so my chiller was on all afternoon, my conductivity was at 1000, when it should be 35, a big mess! I have a love hate relationship with my Neptune products. I may look into profilux again.

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Denis , it really makes me not want to consider the Apex or the Reefkeeper and just go straight for a ProfiLux, and call it a done deal. By the sound of it , and the way you talk of it , makes me think it will be worth every penny . If you don't mind me asking which ProfiLux Set do you have the Premium, Mega . or the Ultimate Set ? If you don't mind me asking.

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Clayton,
For the record, I hated that RKL. A paint to program, a bigger pain to do firmware updates, horrendous support, not user friendly at all.
When looking for something new I was interested in Apex. During my research I came across GHL. Some things started to become obvious.
1) You see pretty much ZERO accounts of failures with Profilux. Google it and see for yourself. With Apex, there seem to be more than I was comfortable with.
2) If something does go wrong with the Profilux, most stuff is fixable at home. They just send you the parts. Much less down time.
3) It's upgradeable. Buy once.
4) I got in before Apex Fusion was around. At that time, it was the easiest to program. There was never any programming language to learn. Just choose from pulldown menus or type in numerical values.
5) All profilux equipment is built like a tank, and nothing is rushed to market. You should see their PowerBars in person. And the software/firmware is just as robust and full of safeties.

GHL's downside.... has always been customer service and parts/accessories availability.
But they have made good strides in both areas over the past year. There is now a USA based office and warehouse.
And customer service has been improving as they better understand the needs of us needy Americans. ;)
The user base us much lower than Apex so sometimes getting questions answered on the forums is a little frustrating.

In the end, yes I'm still using the Profilux for this build and went with their doser as well.
I won't trust thousands of dollars worth of livestock to anything else.
Hello good sir,

If you don't mind me asking, what does a Profilux system cost? I'm new to the hobby and will be in the process of acquiring equipment for the next few months. Thanks for any info! :rolleyes:

Ryan Moeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am done i just need mine to be free on a student budget lol
Lol. I tried college and it's not for me. I wanted to be a Marine Biologist, but when I got into the math course.... Yeah.... Haha. All I needed to know is how fast the shark is and can it eat me? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response! Haha. Wonder which set would be good for a newbie like me? :rolleyes:
You just need to look at what's included and decide what's most important to you.
You probably don't NEED the Touch display. So I'd probably go with the Mega Set because the Conductivity probe is included, which is real nice to have. And it's lab grade.
I would also add on the optical level sensor so you'll have an integrated ATO. You'll just need to use any old pump in your ato container and plugged into one of the PowerBar sockets.
This is the sensor...
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/level-sensor-optical/
This is the base sensor holder...
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/pl-lf-base2/
And this is the clamp that attaches the sensor to the base holder
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/level-sensor-fastener-angled/

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Dennis you've been busy. I found your thread about a month ago while at work and forgot to comment. Just saw it again today, I will be tagging along from here on out. Your home is beautiful and so is this tank! Gonna be awesome with water in it!

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Denis for replaying , i am still looking at all my options for the controller , but I am strongly considering GHL ProfiLux or Neptune System Apex right now . so I think when that time comes closer it will be harder for me lol, my tank is still a Planted tank right now, when I get ready to do that upgrade is when I am really going to consider all my options. So that way when I go reef it will be good to go .

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Dennis you've been busy. I found your thread about a month ago while at work and forgot to comment. Just saw it again today, I will be tagging along from here on out. Your home is beautiful and so is this tank! Gonna be awesome with water in it!
Thanks! :)

And sorry for the lack of updates recently but I've been hard at work and there is actually some changes coming already! :eek:
I just can't leave well enough alone, I guess. haha

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build it Top of the line Big D., but you already know that.;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back