OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you've probably got some serious hook ups for all this awesome equipment.
I wish!
Everything you see so far was purchased retail. Most from Aquarium Specialty, including the tank and stand.
A few items were brought over from my last build.

Wow jaw dropping. All your builds are so impressive. Great job.
Thanks. :)

The prices can all be found online. But I feel investing in the proper equipment up front, means you don't buy 2-3 cheaper models, before finally realizing the value of good equipment
Yep.

I mean, WOW! Looking so nice!
Thank you. :)

The only thing that's custom is the sump which I'm guessing is at least 1000-1200, but it all depends.
Good guess.

No reactors? No manifold?
No manifold. I mentioned above that I need to drop the Avast Spyglass into my return section. I'll have carbon in that.
No other reactors.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE 5-16-16

So...
My tank isn't even wet yet, and it has already taken a very significant and interesting turn.

There are many of you who know my history, but I'll quickly run through it for those who do not.
Two tank builds ago, I had the 36" cube. Originally I was running a fixture with a single MH and 4 T5 bulbs. I had run MH and florescent combos in the past and always liked it. Then LEDs hit the market. Like many people at the time, they had my curious but I hadn't pulled the trigger yet. I was already running Ecotech Vortech MP40's and Ecotech was familiar with my tank. So when they called me and asked if I'd be willing to test out some new lights, I jumped at the chance.... and the "Ecotech Cube" was born.
Well not long after, we decided to move across town and this tank was torn down. The 200g build was spawned and the Gen 1 were transferred over, and eventually upgraded to Gen 2 Pros. All in all, I ran the Radions for about 2 years. During this time, my experience paralleled the led experience of many reefers, regardless of brand. We all had issues of slow growth, poor color, shadowing, burning, etc. Some of this was just a learning experience and eventually working through it, and others were consistent issues that didn't seem to have an easy fix. Another big issue has always been the fact that the average consumer, including myself, has no idea what spectrum of light corals need to thrive, and with LED we are left to our own devices, with many of us failing miserably. It wasn't long before I was longing for the ease of purchasing a bulb with a spectrum and intensity that was tried and true. I was tired of all the variables, and never knowing if my problems were lighting related or something else. I finally got so frustrated, figured two years was more than enough time, and I through in the towel. I went back to the MH/T5 combo and the tank exploded in growth and color almost immediately. And it was easy.

Now you may know that I've had fairly strong opinions on the subject, but I've never said LED were inherently bad. I've always said there was a future with LED, but we needed more research and less variables. The manufacturers really needed to come out with some solid pre-set spectrums, similar to the already tried and true bulbs that are available in MH, like Radium, Pheonix, Ushio and other popular bulbs. The other major problem IMO is spread. LEDs are too much of a pinpoint light source with no real reflector, so coral (mainly SPS) are shadowed, leading to poor growth and color as they grow into colonies. It has always been my opinion that LED are fine as long as you can purchase enough of them to really cover the tank in light. But not many people have the funds to do so, and this completely negates one of the major selling points of LED which is to save money on electricity. Raising the height of the fixtures is one option to achieve better spread, but since I had a canopy with low ceiling, this wasn't an option for me.

Fast forward to today. It's been a couple years since I switched back and in that time there has been further strides on the LED front. For one, there have been a lot of combo fixtures that have popped up. One of the more popular ones is the ATI Powermodule LED/T5 hybrid. This is the fixture I chose for this build because it's pretty sleek looking (I do not have a canopy this time), and the T5 bulbs are providing the main source of light, with the LED being more supplemental. To me this seemed like a pretty good way to go. Lots of spread from the T5's, and that extra color punch and contrast from the LEDs.

So here we are. You've all seen the tank and stand arrive, the ATI get hung from the ceiling, the custom sump was made, and I was working on the electronic board inside the stand. All was moving along smoothly and as planned.
Then one day my phone rings. It's Ecotech.
After a little catch up, I was informed of some of the research and changes since I had last used their Radions. I hadn't been paying too much attention to the world of LED or Radions specifically, so they filled me on some very interesting things. I was pointed to the white paper they released as the first installment of their Coral Lab series, working with a commercial aquaculture facility. If anyone relies on lighting to grow and color up coral, it's these guys. If you missed it like I did, you can find the report here... http://ecotechmarine.com/news/ecotech-marine-launches-coral-lab
In the report, you'll see that this wholesaler basically did what we've all been asking for. They grew the same corals in the same system, side by side, under their tried and true T5 lighting and under Radions. They experimented with the spectrum and intensity of the Radions until they were able to achieve the same or better results as the T5 lighting. AND... these lighting schedules are available to download!
We also discussed spread issues as well. And some upcoming interesting changes.
In the end, they wanted to know if I would be interested in trying the Radions again.
An experiment to see if I could now overcome the issues I've had in the past.
My first thought was thank you, but no. I've got this brand new ATI hanging over the tank that I haven't even used yet! And I didn't have luck with LED in the past. Why go through that again? Just stick with what I know works. Don't complicate things.

But...

There's a challenge here.
I like challenges.
Darn it!!!!
I couldn't let it go.
It kept nagging me.

Finally, I figured... what the heck.
It's a brand new build, I've learned a lot since then, Ecotech has learned a lot since then, let's see what these puppies can do.

So this weekend, amidst the work down below in the stand, there was also some changes to what was hanging above.
Please ignore the filthy glass. ;)

i-kjZ8mq4-XL.jpg

i-hZ4Zzzh.jpg

i-F6qVvqV.jpg

So the saga continues.
This should be very interesting to say the least.
But... challenge excepted. Let's do this. :)

P.S. - This new RMS rail/mount system is fantastic!

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow , how crazy is that . I was so set on buying the ATI Hybrid for my own build in due time , now I am even considering a Radion now how crazy is that. The tank looks amazing with the 3 of them above it. I am dying to see it filled and I am sure so many others are as well . Amazing work Denis everyone of your tanks gets better and better I have to say .. Props to you, great choice .. and great build.

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great challenge for sure. There will be lots of eyes behind keyboards watching your progress closely. Its a great trust that Ecotech has in you as well. A reputation well earned. Look forward to seeing this tank getting wet!

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not expect that twist! I was definitely more intrigued after reading the coral lab report. Excited for you and hope you have great results!

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Radions! I read that article and recently adjusted mine to the AB+ settings. Hoping to start seeing results soon.

scfurse77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Don't have the Radions (Yet) But i read that same white paper article a few weeks ago and changed my AI Prime settings to the AB schedule and i have already started noticing a big difference in my corals. They LOVE it.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not expect that twist!
Either did I, Frank.... either did I. ;)

I Don't have the Radions (Yet) But i read that same white paper article a few weeks ago and changed my AI Prime settings to the AB schedule and i have already started noticing a big difference in my corals. They LOVE it.
Good! That's comforting to hear. haha

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, would you mind sharing how is the spread issue resolved, if it is? Thanks.
Right now, the solution is buy more, or raise them high like they did in the coral lab article.
I've got three over a 47L x 31W tank and wouldn't go less.

BTW, nice user name. Love my M. ;)

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE 5-16-16

So...
My tank isn't even wet yet, and it has already taken a very significant and interesting turn.

There are many of you who know my history, but I'll quickly run through it for those who do not.
Two tank builds ago, I had the 36" cube. Originally I was running a fixture with a single MH and 4 T5 bulbs. I had run MH and florescent combos in the past and always liked it. Then LEDs hit the market. Like many people at the time, they had my curious but I hadn't pulled the trigger yet. I was already running Ecotech Vortech MP40's and Ecotech was familiar with my tank. So when they called me and asked if I'd be willing to test out some new lights, I jumped at the chance.... and the "Ecotech Cube" was born.
Well not long after, we decided to move across town and this tank was torn down. The 200g build was spawned and the Gen 1 were transferred over, and eventually upgraded to Gen 2 Pros. All in all, I ran the Radions for about 2 years. During this time, my experience paralleled the led experience of many reefers, regardless of brand. We all had issues of slow growth, poor color, shadowing, burning, etc. Some of this was just a learning experience and eventually working through it, and others were consistent issues that didn't seem to have an easy fix. Another big issue has always been the fact that the average consumer, including myself, has no idea what spectrum of light corals need to thrive, and with LED we are left to our own devices, with many of us failing miserably. It wasn't long before I was longing for the ease of purchasing a bulb with a spectrum and intensity that was tried and true. I was tired of all the variables, and never knowing if my problems were lighting related or something else. I finally got so frustrated, figured two years was more than enough time, and I through in the towel. I went back to the MH/T5 combo and the tank exploded in growth and color almost immediately. And it was easy.

Now you may know that I've had fairly strong opinions on the subject, but I've never said LED were inherently bad. I've always said there was a future with LED, but we needed more research and less variables. The manufacturers really needed to come out with some solid pre-set spectrums, similar to the already tried and true bulbs that are available in MH, like Radium, Pheonix, Ushio and other popular bulbs. The other major problem IMO is spread. LEDs are too much of a pinpoint light source with no real reflector, so coral (mainly SPS) are shadowed, leading to poor growth and color as they grow into colonies. It has always been my opinion that LED are fine as long as you can purchase enough of them to really cover the tank in light. But not many people have the funds to do so, and this completely negates one of the major selling points of LED which is to save money on electricity. Raising the height of the fixtures is one option to achieve better spread, but since I had a canopy with low ceiling, this wasn't an option for me.

Fast forward to today. It's been a couple years since I switched back and in that time there has been further strides on the LED front. For one, there have been a lot of combo fixtures that have popped up. One of the more popular ones is the ATI Powermodule LED/T5 hybrid. This is the fixture I chose for this build because it's pretty sleek looking (I do not have a canopy this time), and the T5 bulbs are providing the main source of light, with the LED being more supplemental. To me this seemed like a pretty good way to go. Lots of spread from the T5's, and that extra color punch and contrast from the LEDs.

So here we are. You've all seen the tank and stand arrive, the ATI get hung from the ceiling, the custom sump was made, and I was working on the electronic board inside the stand. All was moving along smoothly and as planned.
After a little catch up, I was informed of some of the research and changes since I had last used their Radions. I hadn't been paying too much attention to the world of LED or Radions specifically, so they filled me on some very interesting things. I was pointed to the white paper they released as the first installment of their Coral Lab series, working with a commercial aquaculture facility. If anyone relies on lighting to grow and color up coral, it's these guys. If you missed it like I did, you can find the report here... http://ecotechmarine.com/news/ecotech-marine-launches-coral-lab
In the report, you'll see that this wholesaler basically did what we've all been asking for. They grew the same corals in the same system, side by side, under their tried and true T5 lighting and under Radions. They experimented with the spectrum and intensity of the Radions until they were able to achieve the same or better results as the T5 lighting. AND... these lighting schedules are available to download!
In the end, they wanted to know if I would be interested in trying the Radions again.
My first thought was thank you, but no. I've got this brand new ATI hanging over the tank that I haven't even used yet! And I didn't have luck with LED in the past. Why go through that again? Just stick with what I know works. Don't complicate things.

But...

I like challenges.
Darn it!!!!
I couldn't let it go.
It kept nagging me.

It's a brand new build, I've learned a lot since then, Ecotech has learned a lot since then, let's see what these puppies can do.

So this weekend, amidst the work down below in the stand, there was also some changes to what was hanging above.

i-kjZ8mq4-XL.jpg

i-hZ4Zzzh.jpg

i-F6qVvqV.jpg

So the saga continues.

so i take it you are shooting to be the poster child of ecotech again! lol!

Below Radar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great over your tank! The only thing that I don't like is that there are 3 on a 4ft tank. Hopefully this is due to the depth of your tank and having to turn them "sideways". If that's the case, I don't mind.

Below Radar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great over your tank! The only thing that I don't like is that there are 3 on a 4ft tank. Hopefully this is due to the depth of your tank and having to turn them "sideways". If that's the case, I don't mind.
I'm not saying that as a knock, btw

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis what kind of bulkheads are those quick connects on the top? I assume 1/4" female to 1/4" female? Any links? Thanks [emoji4]

Titanwerx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing build! If I ever do it over again I'm going to use this as a reference. ;)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UPDATE 5-16-16

So...

But...

I like challenges.
Darn it!!!!
I couldn't let it go.
It kept nagging me.

i-kjZ8mq4-XL.jpg

i-hZ4Zzzh.jpg

i-F6qVvqV.jpg

So the saga continues.

Amazing job! This is coming along nicely, Denise!

leicalux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, the solution is buy more, or raise them high like they did in the coral lab article.
I've got three over a 47L x 31W tank and wouldn't go less.

BTW, nice user name. Love my M. ;)

Ah ok, thought Ecotech came up with some new trick. Can't wait to see you get your tank up and running. Definitely going to be an awesome build. I am planning to get the Elos 120xl as well soon.

Love my Summilux and Noctilux together with the M :)

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • All of the above

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back