d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you, fftk. It's the contrast of color that appeals to me more than the actual color/pattern of the fish. Against a reef background, they really stand out. Kind-of like an Achilles and/or a Powder Brown (two other tangs that I like more than a Gem, might I add).

I definitely understand where you're coming from, though. I just really love the tangs. :)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been overly impressed with gem tangs. I get that they are rare but beyond that there are many more attractive tangs to look at.
I fully agree. They're too dark.
I'd have to have massive tank with every other wanted fish before I added a Gem tang.

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So expanding on above... back around thanksgiving my Chaeto crashed.
It just started breaking up, falling apart, basically decomposing in the fuge and causing a mess.
I kind of expected that might happen eventually, but I was hoping just some of it would die off, not all of it. I couldn't seem to get it to recover.
So right before Xmas I completely cleaned out the fuge again. Nothing was left but the Chaeto. It had consumed all the other macros.
I was also starting to see nuisance algae in the display. Diatoms on the sand, slimy/stringy stuff and fluffy stuff on the rocks, gorgonians, even my urhchins.
Not a ton. A quick look at the tank and it looks fine. It's when you start to look at the details, and i've been trying to blow it off the rocks every few days, too.
Seemed to me like there would be plenty of nutrients, so I put in an order for more macros.
Got some chaeto and a couple red species again. Put them in the tank right after Xmas.
A week later, the chaeto is decomposing again! What the duck?
Now I started talking with Triton USA. It seems like I plenty of nutrients with the nuisance algae growing in the display, and even in the fuge. My nitrates are always low but usually register around 1 or 2 ppm. But I hadn't checked in a while. This was Triton's main concern after my explanation of events. So I tested again and..... nitrates were ZERO. Crap. Triton says that the algae in the display is a byproduct of the elements that are being dosed that are supposed to feed the algae bed. But the algae bed needs the main nutrients like nitrates to grow or it will die back.

So now I'm back to Nitrate dosing with the Spectracide Stump Remover.
Over the past week or two I've got nitrates back up to around 2-5ppm. Trying to keep it around 5 now and we'll see how it goes.
Still have the stuff in my display. The chaeto is still not looking good but gotta give it time.
I think the reds are doing ok.

Here's the kind of stuff I've got in the display...

i-4bwKzrs.jpg

i-ts3MhJx.jpg
How is this stuff doing looks like dinos and bryopsis? Been battling it myself for over a year.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this stuff doing looks like dinos and bryopsis? Been battling it myself for over a year.
Same so far.
A little bit of dinos but pretty sure that's not bryopsis.
It's not bad, just a little here and there.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another bit of bad luck it seems... my beautiful male Lyretail Anthia decided to stop eating this week. He was coming out when I put food in but would just look at it and then go back to a tree sponge he was hanging out in.
No visual sign of disease. And he is now hiding in the rocks, not coming out for food at all.
I can't get him out... i think his days are numbered. :(

I'm trying to get MORE fish in the tank, not less. :p

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another bit of bad luck it seems... my beautiful male Lyretail Anthia decided to stop eating this week. He was coming out when I put food in but would just look at it and then go back to a tree sponge he was hanging out in.
No visual sign of disease. And he is now hiding in the rocks, not coming out for food at all.
I can't get him out... i think his days are numbered. :(

I'm trying to get MORE fish in the tank, not less. :p

Dang man sorry to hear. Just so happens one of my little females is doing the same thing. I haven't saw any aggression or anything but I saw her hiding in the rock yesterday and didn't come out much at all.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear man!

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a new LFS that has a few "sweet" deals in his shop. I've actually met him, and he's a great fella. Gem tangs at a rippin' deal if you're interested. "Rippin"
If you don't mind sharing, what price was he selling the Gems for? If I can find the right deal I'd be all over that. Always wanted a Powder Blue, Purple, Black, Unicorn, and Gem (yes I love tangs). The Gem is def my favorite, you don't see them too often and that contrast in color is what draws me to it.

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind sharing, what price was he selling the Gems for? If I can find the right deal I'd be all over that. Always wanted a Powder Blue, Purple, Black, Unicorn, and Gem (yes I love tangs). The Gem is def my favorite, you don't see them too often and that contrast in color is what draws me to it.

Agreed. It's hard to judge this high dollar fish until one actually has one in their possession. The contrast is amazing! I don't know if it's with the price, but I know I'm drawn to them.

If you check out our home site you'll find him. Or club's called MARSH and look at our sponsor named EMF-H. Antonio is the owner and tell him Leo sent you. [emoji6]

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I read your lights are 17" off the water? Wondering how you came to this decision as the right height?
There's really no "right" height, it's just as high as I felt I could go and still get good PAR.
The higher you go, the more the light will spread out. :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back