d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's basically the equivalent of a GE 6500k.
I put that in for a daylight growth power boost.
This is one that may eventually be replaced with a blue, but for now it should give me a nice kickstart. :)

You have seen what it did to my corals, nothing new to put more white light in on the hours you're not home.
Adam with @Battlecorals been doing this for a long time and we all know what the results on his system has for his corals

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man it looks so nice in your home!

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis,
Looks like you morphed Diesel's T5 combo a little bit. I'm curious to hear what your thoughts were and why the change. Diesel is pretty bullish on his combo.

If I'm not mistaken it looks like you replaced one AB Azure with an AB coral and replaced another AB Azure with a second Actinic Blue.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow nice house. Please don't complain I live in a condo ( not my choice) 2nd floor and a paranoid wife. We're looking for a house but I don't think it will be anytime soon. But love the setup. Why didn't you go for a basement?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man it looks so nice in your home!
Thanks, Rev!

Dennis,
Looks like you morphed Diesel's T5 combo a little bit. I'm curious to hear what your thoughts were and why the change. Diesel is pretty bullish on his combo.

If I'm not mistaken it looks like you replaced one AB Azure with an AB coral and replaced another AB Azure with a second Actinic Blue.

Thanks in advance.
Had some discussion with Diesel and his bulbs have evolved a little.
I think I ended up somewhere between where he was and where he is... which may be the middle of nowhere? :D

I love your house D2
Thanks!

Wow nice house. Please don't complain I live in a condo ( not my choice) 2nd floor and a paranoid wife. We're looking for a house but I don't think it will be anytime soon. But love the setup. Why didn't you go for a basement?
haha, thanks.
No basements in Houston. Concrete slab construction. Trust me... i miss basements from the north east. ;)

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice house and a lot like mine with open floor plan but mines not quite as open and I managed to squeeze in a 6 footer on a back wall. I've followed your build threads before and pretty convinced you moved just so you could build a new system ;) I think your a lot like me and bored if your not building something.

Being one that grew up and went to school in Houston (well Friendswood/Clear Lake burbs) I won't ask you why in the world you moved into the city. Well if its traffic I totally get it.

I really like that shed you used for water system and that's exactly what I need with my less than sightly system outside the wall behind the tank. Think that's going to be a next project. Where did that shed come from?

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice house and a lot like mine with open floor plan but mines not quite as open and I managed to squeeze in a 6 footer on a back wall. I've followed your build threads before and pretty convinced you moved just so you could build a new system ;) I think your a lot like me and bored if your not building something.

Being one that grew up and went to school in Houston (well Friendswood/Clear Lake burbs) I won't ask you why in the world you moved into the city. Well if its traffic I totally get it.

I really like that shed you used for water system and that's exactly what I need with my less than sightly system outside the wall behind the tank. Think that's going to be a next project. Where did that shed come from?
Home Depot sells them. That exact shed I believe.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yep, as others have already pointed out, home depot. The box is small enough to fit in an suv with back seats down.

As for the move... ya the drive and traffic was the "driving" factor.
But living here since '98 and coming from the northeast (ny state)... we've found we fit in MUCH better downtown.
And though we thought the burbs would be better for the kids it actually turned out to be the opposite.
Too much time in the car. Being near downtown is not only convenient for the commute, but we are close to everything for them. The zoo, museums, a ton of parks, etc.
The food is much better too. It's mostly fast food chains out there.
Not sure when you were here, but I bet the area has changed quite a bit since then. :)

And most importantly... I'm very close to one of my two favorite LFS, with the second not much farther. :D

urbaneks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I ended up somewhere between where he was and where he is... which may be the middle of nowhere? :D
. ;)

Dennis,
Thanks for the reply. I started using Diesels combo from a few months ago and it's been a positive change from the KZs. The combo I went with is a bit white for my taste, I think your combo would be more pleasing to my eye but how the corals respond is what's most important. Look forward to seeing how this works for you as well as how you set your LED to supplement. Again, thanks for the reply.
Brad

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Rev!

Thanks!

haha, thanks.
No basements in Houston. Concrete slab construction. Trust me... i miss basements from the north east. ;)
Ah
I lived in Killeen ( Army) for six years some had basements some didn't we had one. So I guess it's like Florida down in Houston a little soft

Last edited:

BuildingAnObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, as others have already pointed out, home depot. The box is small enough to fit in an suv with back seats down.

As for the move... ya the drive and traffic was the "driving" factor.
But living here since '98 and coming from the northeast (ny state)... we've found we fit in MUCH better downtown.
And though we thought the burbs would be better for the kids it actually turned out to be the opposite.
Too much time in the car. Being near downtown is not only convenient for the commute, but we are close to everything for them. The zoo, museums, a ton of parks, etc.
The food is much better too. It's mostly fast food chains out there.
Not sure when you were here, but I bet the area has changed quite a bit since then. :)

And most importantly... I'm very close to one of my two favorite LFS, with the second not much farther. :D

You know you just wanted to be closer to me neighbor [emoji1]. The wife pointed you out the other day as you went roaring by on Shepard.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know you just wanted to be closer to me neighbor [emoji1]. The wife pointed you out the other day as you went roaring by on Shepard.

We finally got rid of that ROARING in the country........PFFFFFF!!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, really? That's funny. :D
My 2 year old must have been saying "Faster, Daddy! Faster!" lol

We finally got rid of that ROARING in the country........PFFFFFF!!
Pffft. Says Diesel who drives ginormous diesel truck. :p

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pffft. Says Diesel who drives ginormous diesel truck. :p

HAHAHA, it barely fit on your driveway last week, did you check for cracks in your concrete............... we do NICE, really NICE paver driveways and I'll give you the DIESEL discount you know that :rolleyes:

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been working on some stuff and I'll post a couple pics later, but since work and schools are closed today due to some crazy rains/flooding in Houston, I had some time to finally finish up a long over due blog post. :)
http://www.everydayreef.com

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back