d2mini's "Essential Focus" Mixed Reef Build

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word D2mini , we patrolled a lot yesterday but n Cypress, and there was some after math damage to quite a few homes in that whole area. I can't remember where you are located but t just want to make sure your ok?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word D2mini , we patrolled a lot yesterday but n Cypress, and there was some after math damage to quite a few homes in that whole area. I can't remember where you are located but t just want to make sure your ok?
Thanks, we are north of 610 off Shepard. I drove into the Montrose area and near downtown all week and other than going over Buffalo Bayou it's like nothing ever happened in this area. Surreal!

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, two very close calls but we lucked out. No damage. You doing ok? What's the state of your house?

Minimal issues. Tank is fine because it's in the second story. I flipped all the downstairs breakers before we were rescued/evacuated.

I put a video on my YouTube channel for my tank. It's doing well, thank goodness.

I'm very happy you guys are ok bro. That was craziness!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimal issues. Tank is fine because it's in the second story. I flipped all the downstairs breakers before we were rescued/evacuated.

I put a video on my YouTube channel for my tank. It's doing well, thank goodness.

I'm very happy you guys are ok bro. That was craziness!

Awesome! That's great to hear. :)

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, we are north of 610 off Shepard. I drove into the Montrose area and near downtown all week and other than going over Buffalo Bayou it's like nothing ever happened in this area. Surreal!

I am blown away by how the fast the community responded to this whole disaster. From fellow people helped by one another to the sheer number of volunteers that came out its very humbling to see all this .

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you clean your sand? I think I recall your comment, when you restarted with TBS rock, something to the effect that "I forgot what it looks like to have clean sand". And your amazing FTS shots show what looks like it could be "dirty" sand. So I'm wondering, do you leave the sand cleanup to the CUC?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you clean your sand? I think I recall your comment, when you restarted with TBS rock, something to the effect that "I forgot what it looks like to have clean sand". And your amazing FTS shots show what looks like it could be "dirty" sand. So I'm wondering, do you leave the sand cleanup to the CUC?
That comment was because the tank was a total mess before the restart with all that dinos or whatever gunk I had.
Generally, I do not vacuum the sand bed. I do like to occasionally stir it up a bit. I've been getting a rust brown (diatoms?) on top even though my nutrients are pretty low.
If I leave the lights off for a day it goes away. But between lights out ever few weeks, I'll just stir it up to help keep it looking clean.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! I keep looking at my sand bed, wishing it weren't so messy, but then I look more closely and notice all of the living stuff I would suck out of it if I vacuumed it. So I leave it be, hoping that it doesn't become a problem as the tank matures.

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it with all the Houston guys and LifeReef products? Yeah I have LR skimmer too! :)

Really enjoyed reading through this thread and you have a beautiful tank. Didn't even know Elos made a tank and now I am eyeballing the 250! You convinced me to not to go with the triton method. And your blog makes me think it will be far easier to sell off my tank and start over when we move...should be next year.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it with all the Houston guys and LifeReef products? Yeah I have LR skimmer too! :)

Really enjoyed reading through this thread and you have a beautiful tank. Didn't even know Elos made a tank and now I am eyeballing the 250! You convinced me to not to go with the triton method. And your blog makes me think it will be far easier to sell off my tank and start over when we move...should be next year.
LOL!

Thanks! Glad I could help. ;)

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! I also ended up shutting a tank down due to dinos and the havoc they bring on. Even after theyre gone it seems there is no getting rid of the toxins they produce and corals never really recover in that setting (IME)

I am looking into the idea of getting a custom tank build with similar dimensions as your elos.. After having the tank for some time how do you like the layout? do you feel it is easy to have good flow? How about lighting options? I have a custom 36" ati t5\led unit and a pair of mitras lx7's. I am really hoping to use the hybrid on this tank but feel it may be lacking

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into the idea of getting a custom tank build with similar dimensions as your elos.. After having the tank for some time how do you like the layout? do you feel it is easy to have good flow? How about lighting options? I have a custom 36" ati t5\led unit and a pair of mitras lx7's. I am really hoping to use the hybrid on this tank but feel it may be lacking
I love the dims.
I was going to use the 36" 8 bulb ati hybrid if Ecotech didn't call me.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the dims.
I was going to use the 36" 8 bulb ati hybrid if Ecotech didn't call me.
Unfortunately mine was a 6 bulb fixture, that is now a 4 bulb fixture with 6 of dave's nanobox reef v3 led arrays. so 4 t5 tubes and 6 led pucks. I am hoping there is enough spread if i have the light about 8-10 inches from the water. If not then i will likely have to buy another mitras and put 3 of those over the tank.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be amazeballs.
I love the idea honestly as the one i have over my temporary tank has such amazing color rendition. But i would need to sell the hybrid first and i have been having a hard time doing that :( Speaking of that, whats your opinion of the g4 and the lx7 now that you have had both of them for quite some time?

Rattzreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Tank And great thread! Took me a few days to get through it all but well worth the read.. love the dimensions on that thing.. I'm gonna have to get my build thread going soon..

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea honestly as the one i have over my temporary tank has such amazing color rendition. But i would need to sell the hybrid first and i have been having a hard time doing that :( Speaking of that, whats your opinion of the g4 and the lx7 now that you have had both of them for quite some time?
Honestly you can't go wrong with either option. These are the top two lights and IMHO it comes down to just minor differences/personal preferences.
I do personally prefer the software on the Mitras and not a fan of having to use the reeflink to connect to the Radions.

Awesome Tank And great thread! Took me a few days to get through it all but well worth the read.. love the dimensions on that thing.. I'm gonna have to get my build thread going soon..
Thanks! And yes.... yes you do. ;)

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm.... new toy/project just arrived. ;Wideyed

i-tjkJthx-XL.jpg