OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought ya'll might like to see where my clowns sleep. :)
This is just a cell phone pic this morning before the tank lights came on.

The Percula and the open brain coral used to be in my nano tank and the Perc always slept there. This used to bother the brain (which I've had for about 6 years now, and at one point lost 90% of it's tissue about 3-4 years ago due to an annoying yellow bellied blue tang) but eventually it got used to the clown and no longer closes up at all when he starts swimming in and out. The Davinci clown had been in this tank for several months, when one day I moved the Perc and Brain from my nano to this tank. The Perc continued to "host" the brain, and it didn't tank long for the much younger Davinci to follow suit.

i-vJR6GSZ.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I quickly found out that the little ball valve that comes with the Geo is impossible to fine tune. It's basically worthless as far as regulating flow out of the effluent line.
So now I have a nice new needle valve that works great. :)

That must have been what Nona was trying to tell me.
She's pointing her nose right at it. ;)

i-VSDg84L.jpg

Here's the new valve...

i-jHJfD2J.jpg

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good to know about the AP regulators ...I purchased a few just in case one failed and I am intrigued with your dual stage regulator. Very nice updates as well.

Yeah, the AP is just a cheap single stage reg with cheap solenoid inside a big plastic box.
It works fine and is a good option, but a dual stage reg is a better way to go... no c02 dump, just as easy to use, and will last forever.
And this one I got was the same price as the AP.

I've used a masterflex before, but wasn't have a problem feeding with an MJ before that.
So I'll see how it goes this time. I will control the flow with a valve and fine tune with the ph.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea he will actually put the needle valve on if you request it. Looks awesome though.
Good to know.
The check valve was an option, but no option on the calcium reactor page for the needle valve. I see it now on a separate Valves page.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few more pics of the science lab under the tank. :)
There is a dense ball of cheato and a few big tufts of dragon's breath rolling around in the fuge.

Also, the CaRx is doing well! Now that I have the needle valve, it's very close to being dialed in. Alk is at 8.4 this morning, dropping just .1 from last night.

i-vC3hPdf.jpg

i-B4D2Vrj.jpg

i-8VHPCb7.jpg

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Still amazed by your tank. I’m sure you have answered this already but what kind of fuge light is that?

There is a dense ball of cheato and a few big tufts of dragon's breath rolling around in the fuge.

Also, the CaRx is doing well! Now that I have the needle valve, it's very close to being dialed in. Alk is at 8.4 this morning, dropping just .1 from last night.

i-vC3hPdf.jpg

i-B4D2Vrj.jpg

i-8VHPCb7.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Still amazed by your tank. I’m sure you have answered this already but what kind of fuge light is that?
Thanks!
I don't recall the exact model off hand, there is a bunch of them on amazon.
Go back to around April in this thread and I should have the info there. :)

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions for the sump and refugium?

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CFL1 - 25x16x14h
Refugium - 10x16x18

Thanks!

Is the return water from the refugium noisier with the PVC pipe versus the overflow style of your last Lifereef refugium. How do you like the filter cylinders for carbon?

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Is the return water from the refugium noisier with the PVC pipe versus the overflow style of your last Lifereef refugium. How do you like the filter cylinders for carbon?
No, i don't hear it. :)
I don't mind the filter cylinder for trickling water through for carbon. They're easy to remove/replace too.
And easy to control the water flow for each cylinder.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What do you think about the Dragon's Breath? I am going to setup a 125 with a decent size sump and I plan to run macro algae in the refugium section. But I can't decide which algae to use. I have not had luck with chaeto. They just slowly die off. I have not tried caulerpa but I have seen quite a few people saying it went sexual for them and caused crashes. So I am wondering is the red Dragon's Breath is a good algae for nutrient control. Thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back