DA Reef Keeper Lite and MyReef Software

EuroDriver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I might do that too. Maybe find a $25-50 something at a yard sale. I have some super old laptops in the basement, like 10 years old. Wonder if I could make one of them work for this...

It should. I believe Windows XP and up. I also remember there was an issue where if you maximize the window running myreef 2.0 causes all sorts of problems - it needs to be run on the smaller window it opens up to.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should. I believe Windows XP and up. I also remember there was an issue where if you maximize the window running myreef 2.0 causes all sorts of problems - it needs to be run on the smaller window it opens up to.
That’s quite particular :)

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have never been able to get it to work on my Win10 laptop. I received 3 builds from DA any they never worked. It is frustrating. I thought it was because I was plugging into the USB 3.0 port but it didn’t work in the USB 2.0 port either. It’s a driver issue which they have yet to fix for some hardware.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have HP Pavillion Laptop and it has Windows 10 and myReef works great on it. It does not work on my surface though. If I am in safe mode it will run on the surface. That tells me it is a driver or program that is not loading and running in safe mode that is preventing myReef from working. If it can be identified then it may be just a matter of uninstalling the culprit.

working_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I saw somewhere while researching this that it mattered - will try to back track and find.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at this monster I had in the basement. Windows XP Home edition. Does NOT have wifi. Lol

1D3187CD-BD9B-4DE6-BE1B-D33B6660617F.jpeg

I used to carry this around in college. Oh my back!!

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, it boots. Bad news, it is so old it can't handle today's internet. I'm trying to update it, but Microsoft shutdown the update server it pulls from. Trying to use a downloaded service pack.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for everyone... myReef requires .Net 4.5. Windows XP can’t run beyond 4.0. UGH! I finally got this machine running but it is still too old.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look for the older version. I believe it only requires .net 2.0 or 2.5
Good idea!

I wound up getting the software to load if I booted into Safe Mode (also a pain with Win 10). Apparently you need some other module to update the RKL because only one thing can plug into the SID and be updated. I only have the PC4 with ports on it. ;Facepalm

Edit: Looks like you can use an old school RJ12 coupler. Doubt I have one anymore but I’ll search the junk electronics box and maybe get lucky

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea!

I wound up getting the software to load if I booted into Safe Mode (also a pain with Win 10). Apparently you need some other module to update the RKL because only one thing can plug into the SID and be updated. I only have the PC4 with ports on it. ;Facepalm

Edit: Looks like you can use an old school RJ12 coupler. Doubt I have one anymore but I’ll search the junk electronics box and maybe get lucky
I got my couplers at Fry's. Just make sure they are the straight thru type.

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea!

Thank you for the suggestion! I was able to get the software to run as well when I booted into Win10 with safe mode. Now to see if this SID V2 works.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a reefkeeper lite used locally. What is the software for? I just programmed mine with the little buttons on the screen. Do I need to be using the software as well for something?

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a reefkeeper lite used locally. What is the software for? I just programmed mine with the little buttons on the screen. Do I need to be using the software as well for something?
I don't think you need the software at all. My firmware was out of date, so I wanted to update it. I think it is just easier to do things with the software. It also allows you to name channels, etc.

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my ReefKeeper Lite used as well and it retained all the named channels from the previous owner. The software is the only way to rename these channels to what they should be on your system.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a cheap coupler from the ole' big box store. I plugged it in to the SID and then into the computer and..... nothing. It didn't turn on and it wasn't recognized. Am I missing something?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back