Daddy Daughter 32 biocube

R0C95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My 4yo daughter and I have had this tank up and running since January, so a bit behind on the tank build thread here.

The name of the game is how much equipment can I stuff in the back of a 32 biocube? List here:

Chamber 1

- cobalt 150w heater

Chamber 2

- octo aquatics media basket. Filter floss on top, some carbon in 2nd shelf, rock rubble in 3rd.
- bioblock cut to size and lining entire bottom of chamber 2
- icecap k1 nano protein skimmer
- jbj ato sensor

Chamber 3

- sicce 1.5 silent pump
- octo aquatics refugium with a pod hotel

As you can see, we were able to fully utilize all the space in the biocube sump. We are packed to the max.

Equipment in the tank/ outside

- 1 kessil a360x retrofit into my hood

- jbj magnetic fuge light

- jbj ato

- 2 sicce 1000 nano wavemakers, controlled by the sicce wave controller

Needless to say, the tank rids of nutrients very well. Nitrates and phos stay stable at 5ppm and .09 respectively.

Where is the tank today?

Well, lately we had an issue with a brooklynella and ich outbreak. We had a yellow watchman / candy cane shrimp combo, 2 osc. clowns, 1 flame angel, and 1 royal gramma. We moved the tank from my daughters dresser in her room to a home built fish tank stand. We had to drain a lot of the tank to move this. After the move was over, fish seemed a bit upset but healthy. 2 weeks later I added another coral, and I'll admit was in a rush and didn't dip it. Next day, gramma died, then 1 clown in subsequent days. My flame angel survived and looks to be getting better with some treatment and qting... my goby survived and shows NO sign of illness. So hes still in the display.

Other than fish, we have some higher end coral, since it's a cube and space is limited. We have that's notable:

- 2 head aussie gold torch
- yellow polyped octospawn
- GMK zoas
- war paint scoly
- blue tipped elegance
- there are a lot of random, not notable softies and Lps in there as well, including chalices, acans, frogspawn, and other zoas.

Recently, we have started getting into some SPS. Started slow with digis, montis, and birdsnest. All has gone well. So we moved on to more difficult acro, and milli with great results so far.

Goals for this tank?

- replenish fish when I I comfortable my display is a mostly disease free environment. I am going a different route with the fish this time. I'll only do 1 clown (as 2 were aggressive towards my royal gramma), put in a black cap basslet instead of a royal gramma, and put in a juvenile kole tang for a few months while another build I'm doing is completed (see below).

I've enjoyed this tank so far, and it has given me the reefing bug which caused me to setup a big tank in our basement. I ordered a 12ft x 4ft x 2ft display. Low iron glass. I have a 225g sump for this already. So that will be exciting!

P.S. my orphek camera lenses will be coming in tomorrow so I'll have better pics to share soon!

20200621_151008.jpg 20200617_155824.jpg 20200528_203452.jpg 20200617_155748.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute tank! Sorry about all the fish deaths! Just make sure you understand the lifecycle of the likely pathogens so you don't run into a repeat with the fish down the road. That 12x4 sounds exciting- can't wait to see that come together :)

OP
OP
R0C95

R0C95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yes, I somewhat understand the parasitic lifecycles as back when I did quite a bit of freshwater, but the parasites in Salt are definitely different. So hoping for round 2 soon. And now that the tank is in its permanent location, I wont need to drain it again. And also, ALWAYS dip coral, no matter the rush I'm in. I have a qt setup since day 1 as well so I really should be (cross my fingers) disease free from here on out.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 15.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back