Damaged/Sick Colorado Sunburst

farfromsea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

The long version of this saga is posted on Reef Central but the short version is I snatched a Colorado Sunburst from my LFS for $10 from the scratch and dent area.

Gave it cipro for 10 days per the Orion method.

Put it in a tiny shroom box in my DT which is a Lifegard 10 with KP live rock and a G6 Radion Blue.

I own a PAR meter. Just got the PAR for this poor creature to be 220 (with the tank lid on). Power was out for 36H this week but it is still kicking it.

Took a peek this AM and it has some sort of fissure in the flesh that was not there before. Is it dying? (I had considered the current state of the anenome to be "not dying" rather than healthy) Is it splitting?

Picture taken with orange reef glasses because I broke and misplaced my clip-on filter.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

20230916_111909.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its still attached, thats a good sign. Nems split in extreme stress quite easy so i wouldnt be surprised if it is.

CSBs are pretty hardy IMO. I had one travel up a HOB overflow tube like on finding nemo and it got torn into about 15 pieces.
Even the foot that seperated with no tenticles regrew rather quick. Only lost small parts that didnt have the oral disc.

OP
OP
F

farfromsea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its still attached, thats a good sign. Nems split in extreme stress quite easy so i wouldnt be surprised if it is.

CSBs are pretty hardy IMO. I had one travel up a HOB overflow tube like on finding nemo and it got torn into about 15 pieces.
Even the foot that seperated with no tenticles regrew rather quick. Only lost small parts that didnt have the oral disc.
How long did it take to recover and grow back? Mine looks sad without tentacles but I'm glad at least the mouth isn't spilling out like it was when I got it...

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CSB that got its entire top part (meaning no oral disk) shaved off by a MP40 and it fully recovered. It took about a month. It's split a few times since.

I know you're not looking for an ID, but have you checked to see if your anemone has a marbled foot? I'd hate to have you go through all of this trouble only to find out that it's not a CSB.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went through a gyre and looked horrible and it’s rebounded well! I’m shocked it’s still alive honestly but it’s a survivor! Been about 2 months since it went through the blender. Mine hated the box so I placed him in a hole in the rock and he’s done much better.. no cipro no nothing but time.
IMG_0694.jpeg

IMG_0857.jpeg
7E13D797-8B61-4E9F-BEF4-687920546159.jpeg

OP
OP
F

farfromsea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CSB that got its entire top part (meaning no oral disk) shaved off by a MP40 and it fully recovered. It took about a month. It's split a few times since.

I know you're not looking for an ID, but have you checked to see if your anemone has a marbled foot? I'd hate to have you go through all of this trouble only to find out that it's not a CSB.
They had a batch of normal ones at the store and this one was a little runt damaged looking thing that a clerk kept putting in the scratch and dent section. I asked to pay the clearance price once and they demanded a full $700 but the second time I snatched it away. I'm not 100% that it is a CSB but maybe this picture is better from its "glory days" with tentacles lol. This was maybe before treatment #1

20230902_100049.jpg

OP
OP
F

farfromsea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went through a gyre and looked horrible and it’s rebounded well! I’m shocked it’s still alive honestly but it’s a survivor! Been about 2 months since it went through the blender. Mine hated the box so I placed him in a hole in the rock and he’s done much better.. no cipro no nothing but time.
IMG_0694.jpeg

IMG_0857.jpeg
7E13D797-8B61-4E9F-BEF4-687920546159.jpeg
Wow that is a great transition. I'm nervous to let it loose in my DT. Won't it potentially sting coral??

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is a great transition. I'm nervous to let it loose in my DT. Won't it potentially sting coral??
They can yes… it took out a couple of my sticks before it found a home but all is well now.

OP
OP
F

farfromsea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can yes… it took out a couple of my sticks before it found a home but all is well now.
I have only a 10 gallon DT so not a lot of places for it to go :( the anenome is very tiny right now and it was such a deal I went for it. Was thinking of setting it up in a species tank in the future but right now not keen on sacrificing coral if it roams lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%
Back