Damaged Wellso Question

ghermes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Wellso has suffered damage from contact with a mushroom and/or being attacked by my pigmy angel. I covered the Wellso for the past few weeks, and no additional damage has appeared. I think the angel has to go. It has also attacked several torches, duncan, and frogspawn. My question is can the Wellso grow new material over the exposed skeleton or will that area continue to be exposed. Do I need to remove the exposed skeleton somehow or just leave it alone?
IMG_4680.JPG

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will just make new skeleton. I don't think the soft tissue is able to slide out over any substrate, even if it was its old skeleton. The exposed part will probably get covered with coraline and eventually the soft tissue will expand and just lay over it anyway.

OP
OP
G

ghermes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will just make new skeleton. I don't think the soft tissue is able to slide out over any substrate, even if it was its old skeleton. The exposed part will probably get covered with coraline and eventually the soft tissue will expand and just lay over it anyway.
Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
G

ghermes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you cover it with?
Goodbye Angel!
It is a temporary cover made out of an opaque 1qt food container with a lot of holes drilled into it. The wellso still gets light and flow but the angel can not get to it. I was not exactly sure if the problem was the angel or some sort of disease. The cover has been on for several weeks. I took it off tonight and damage has not gotten any worse. Since the initial damage occurred in about 2 days and no new damage is showing, I'm pretty sure it was caused by the angel. My wife and I both see him constantly nipping at the LPS corals. He is coming out tomorrow. I hope that will greatly improve my LPS coral survival rate. The wellso cover will come off when he is gone.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back