Damsel and Chromis Lifespan Survey

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 species of Chromis, Green (suspect C. viridis), Half and half (C. iomelas) and C vandervelt total 28 fish. Stocked in January 2010 I think there were 15 green, 6 H&H, the rest Vandervelts.
1600335855559.png

1600335941858.png

The Vandervelts never really settled, I think my tank was too 'busy' for them to thrive. The Greens survived with just a couple of losses until Jan 2016 when my PBT went rogue and murdered them. The H&H were moved on when I closed the tank later in 2016.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept damsels for a decade on multiple occasions. I have bunch of yellow-tails in my tank, one of which was bought in 2013. I think the original is still there, so 7 years old.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome. I don’t think they’re short lived considering they’re related to the Clowns. Which species have you kept for over 10 years?
Their relationship to Amphiprion species doesn't really say much as Amphiprion species are outliers due to their unique lifestyle. This article (An extraordinary life span estimate for the clown anemonefish Amphiprion percula) also provides some lifespans of other Damselfish:
Lifespans of Damselfish.PNG

Among other things size and habitat temperature range (tropical or temperate) predict the lifespan. Large temperate species usually get older than small tropicals.
Amphiprion species get 2 to 3 times as old as they should get based on their size and temperature range.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. What lifespan would you expect for most Chrysiptera species?
Anything between 5 and 15 years.
However, it all doesn't help you much if you don't know how old the fish is when you get it. Also, many that go under Chrysiptera belong actually to different genera.
Furthermore, few fish ever die of old age, not in the ocean and certainly even less so in captivity.

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What species is it / was it?
C. viridis

2. Size at time of purchase?
1”

3. How long did it live / has it lived for you? (If dead, how did it die?)
Going on strong 7 years.

4. Any tips / secrets for keeping them long term?
High quality food, secure lid, and peaceful tank mates.

He’s actually the first saltwater fish ive ever had, so I try to take very good care of him. Still going strong. He actually hasn’t grown much over the years - only about 1/2”.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your thoughts of having a pair of Yellowtails and a single Azure in a 70 gallon 3-foot tank? Would there be too much competition for territory? Or maybe another kind of Damsel like a Lemon or Neon to go with the Yellowtail pair?

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they still alive today? How big were they when you got them?
I have one of the old ones left. One died, the other lost an eye but recovered and is doing well. I know the one eyed fish is a male. He used to spawn with the other fish until she died (about 1.5 years ago). The fish that Is still alive love nori.

They all started at 1.5“. I originally purchased 9. Let me see if I can find some photos of when I first purchased them. Then will take a current photo.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 8.6%
Back