Damselfish in my Reef!

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Just showing off my new Rolland's damsel. 24hrs after being introduced into my no-QT nano tank, this fella looks amazing. Love the way it darts around my tank. It seems to have claimed this crevice of my rock, kicking out the peppermint shrimp who used to call it home.

What are your thoughts on "peaceful" damsels? Do you like damsels at all?

F830CEB4-D0F4-438A-802A-D6692012AEE9.jpeg

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell for the "Roland's are peaceful damsels". It pinned a Chromis to the bottom back wall of the tank, and does a drive by on a small Gramma every 15 minutes, running it under a rock. I had to take the Chromis out. I haven't found a way to catch the Damsel yet, but he's out if I ever do.

Upvote 0

Amandakayphoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Three Stripe Damsel has been a model citizen for 18 years. I think his larger tankmates keep his pugnacious Damsel tendencies 'in check ' lol.
I just rescued a little 5 gallon that has a 10-ish year old three-stripe. I was told he had killed a couple clowns in his past- which I am sure he did since he never should have been put in a tank that small... I do like him though- he is a neat little guy ♡

Upvote 0

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love damsels if done in the correct tank. I have room in my 20G but not quite sure it will work out with my stock list now. But when I do my 100G upgrade there will be 5 azure or talbot damsels for sure! And then with the 300+ gallon there will be 15-20 added when the tank gets mature and has good coral growth.

Upvote 0

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell for the "Roland's are peaceful damsels". It pinned a Chromis to the bottom back wall of the tank, and does a drive by on a small Gramma every 15 minutes, running it under a rock. I had to take the Chromis out. I haven't found a way to catch the Damsel yet, but he's out if I ever do.
Damsels, especially an aggressive one, are easily caught with hook and line. Seriously.

Upvote 0

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated, it is all about tank set up. My 210g has the room and areas for each to have their own space. They chase every now and then, but not too bad. In a small set up, only one will ever work. :)
Or go with the idea that aggression will not hurt one if so many are in there. I find that does not work. They do gang up on the smallest and pick off in order. Space is needed.

Upvote 0

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two azures in a 60 gal DT. They were fine for a few months but the larger one started having a go at the smaller one. Realised they were fighting for the 'best' territory' where I always drop the food. Changed my feeding location to the larger ones territory and they went back to being civil neighbours. I love them and they're beautiful to look at.

p.s. I have a lot of rock work with bolt holes and sub sections.

Upvote 0

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels, especially an aggressive one, are easily caught with hook and line. Seriously.
I have the hook and line. My problem is that the line floats on the surface, and I haven't figured out a way to get it to sink that won't probably make him suspicious. The tank is 24" deep, and the damsel hangs out near the bottom, especially when he thinks I'm after him.

Upvote 0

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my yellow tail blue damsel is a pretty decent tank mate! (so far...) Taking it one day at a time. 4 other fish in there. he bickers some with the clown that hosts in the anemone, otherwise ok. Nice color and active fish. Wasn't really my choice, per se (we were using him as a fish that could hold his own to see if I could introduce other fish). Since he has mostly behaved, I have let him stay.
All I can say is I wish you luck! Yellowtails are the devil incarnate IMO and IME. Super mean to other fish, bites me repeatedly anytime my hand is in the tank, and is literally immortal. I had one take a trip down my plumbing almost ten years ago and found him stuck to the side of my filter sock days later. All banged up, yet he lives to this day. Pretty sure he also took a spin through one of my Vortech MP60s before I put a guard on it. I might try to coax him into it again just to see what happens. I hate that fish.

Upvote 0

VentingFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Just showing off my new Rolland's damsel. 24hrs after being introduced into my no-QT nano tank, this fella looks amazing. Love the way it darts around my tank. It seems to have claimed this crevice of my rock, kicking out the peppermint shrimp who used to call it home.

T

Tbh kind scared to try!

Upvote 0

Ossy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of damselfish. Look pretty with their colors, but if you can avoid them (especially at the start), it'll probably help you in the long run.

Upvote 0

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the hook and line. My problem is that the line floats on the surface, and I haven't figured out a way to get it to sink that won't probably make him suspicious. The tank is 24" deep, and the damsel hangs out near the bottom, especially when he thinks I'm after him.

Use fluorocarbon line. It sinks.

Here's a whole thread on it:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ime , damsels that are safe are chrysiptera, haven’t tried many other genus but i heard the pomacentrus should also be quite peaceful.
as long as you have another fish to keep them in check (or just something that looks bigger than them) and they are added last they should be fine. chromis, after they are done pecking each other off, they will peck the other fish off, so i won’t touch them. but i heard the Caribbean ones are chill?

Upvote 0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back