Damselfish in my Reef!

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Just showing off my new Rolland's damsel. 24hrs after being introduced into my no-QT nano tank, this fella looks amazing. Love the way it darts around my tank. It seems to have claimed this crevice of my rock, kicking out the peppermint shrimp who used to call it home.

What are your thoughts on "peaceful" damsels? Do you like damsels at all?

F830CEB4-D0F4-438A-802A-D6692012AEE9.jpeg

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Springeri. My first one died, presumably of old age, so I got another, because he was awesome. Model citizens, both of them. My Kaudern's cardinal chases my new little one, but she's quick and completely unafraid. Tough little gal! I think she even teases him by swimming up and over him when he's looking down. My LFS keeps them for picking any bugs off corals, but I love them for their beautiful, bright blue color, and they're not jerks like most damsels.

Upvote 0

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a trio of electric blue damsels and they have always been ideal tank mates - did introduce them last and when small. Two years later my Yellow Tang, Midas Blenny, Cardinalfish all get on - I would like to add one or two more fish but fear it could challenge the harmony.

Upvote 0

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell for the "Roland's are peaceful damsels". It pinned a Chromis to the bottom back wall of the tank, and does a drive by on a small Gramma every 15 minutes, running it under a rock. I had to take the Chromis out. I haven't found a way to catch the Damsel yet, but he's out if I ever do.
I think every fish can have a different personality. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your Roland's. I have a pair of them that bonded and outside of chasing our gobies, they're pretty tame.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
andiesreef

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Springeri. My first one died, presumably of old age, so I got another, because he was awesome. Model citizens, both of them. My Kaudern's cardinal chases my new little one, but she's quick and completely unafraid. Tough little gal! I think she even teases him by swimming up and over him when he's looking down. My LFS keeps them for picking any bugs off corals, but I love them for their beautiful, bright blue color, and they're not jerks like most damsels.
i wanted to get a springeri but i couldn't find one near me so i settled for a rolland's damsel. i've seen my lfs put springeris with all sorts of other utility fish in their big frag tanks. they are really fun to watch (as are all damsels imo)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
andiesreef

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the Taupous too. They’re bigger than most Chrysiptera and just second in beauty to the Starcki and Flavipinnis IMO. Captive bred too. They are very full bodied, deep, almost like a small angel but not quite.
damsels do remind me of a cross between a small angel and a small wrasse, often with a fiery personality to match o_O

i love both angels and wrasses but my tank is too small for either to live comfortably so damselfish it is. mine is still well-behaved but it's only day 3

Upvote 0

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210720_093138.jpg

I've got 7 Springer Damsels that have added a vibrant blue color no other fish can have (1 is not in the picture). I think that if you get the right damsel, provide enough food and hiding spots, they are a great fish that add beautiful color for really cheap. I got these for $8 each on a sale. The picture really doesn't do justice, the way they are so vibrant blue under good lights is unreal.

I started with 1 about 2 years ago and it barely grew and was super peaceful. I knew about the whole "you can only have 1 damsel" story and I'm so tired of these old outdated rules that still float around in the hobby. I bought 6 more and have had them for 3 months now. Springers are more on the peaceful side, they do a little territorial dance every now and then, but I check up on them and see no damage. No fish has such a bright blue color, a blue Hippo Tang next to one of these damsels would look dull.

Upvote 0

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20210720_093138.jpg

I've got 7 Springer Damsels that have added a vibrant blue color no other fish can have (1 is not in the picture). I think that if you get the right damsel, provide enough food and hiding spots, they are a great fish that add beautiful color for really cheap. I got these for $8 each on a sale. The picture really doesn't do justice, the way they are so vibrant blue under good lights is unreal.

I started with 1 about 2 years ago and it barely grew and was super peaceful. I knew about the whole "you can only have 1 damsel" story and I'm so tired of these old outdated rules that still float around in the hobby. I bought 6 more and have had them for 3 months now. Springers are more on the peaceful side, they do a little territorial dance every now and then, but I check up on them and see no damage. No fish has such a bright blue color, a blue Hippo Tang next to one of these damsels would look dull.

What size tank? Is that a yellow wrasse?

I got my fish from a LFS... they had two little guys in their tank and I ended up getting one. Wish I had gotten both tho, but constantly hearing about the 1 only rule I didn't.

Upvote 0

shneerf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? Is that a yellow wrasse?

I got my fish from a LFS... they had two little guys in their tank and I ended up getting one. Wish I had gotten both tho, but constantly hearing about the 1 only rule I didn't.
I have a 180 gallon, maybe one day I'll compile the pictures and do a build thread but ain't nobody got time for that haha.

I have 2 Yellow Choris Wrasses that started off the same size. Now one is clearly larger, flares his or her dorsal fin and has cool patterning on it's face. Don't know if that means it went male or female, but they're both beautiful.

Upvote 0

GuilhermeLba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to have just one yellow tail damsel with a pair of clownfish, ywg and a fridmani, Im intending to put the damsel as the last one to get in, what do u guys think? 30gallon tank

Upvote 0

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll jump in on the love for the Springeri damsel. I had one in my tank for years before he was literally bit in half by a hawkfish. After rehoming the hawk... I now have two Springeri in my tank. Absolutely ideal citizens, and yes - their color is second to none. The little bit of black scribbling really sets off that blue to advantage, and in the right light they positively glow.

Upvote 0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back