Overnight dead clown

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, this little fella didn‘t make it in my observation tank last night. Other occupants are 3 other young clowns and a damsel. Everyone seemed peaceful and happy. I am assuming he got nipped to death, given the wounds and got blown around the sandbed but not sure. Everyone else is the picture of health and is eating. New to this so not sure what to look for.
Note: this is a fully cycled 60 gal tank with live rock, sand and corals. Can‘t really call it QT but using it for that purpose - building a larger system and hoping to transfer in a month or so. I have UV running.

IMG_0675.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good morning, this little fella didn‘t make it in my observation tank last night. Other occupants are 3 other young clowns and a damsel. Everyone seemed peaceful and happy. I am assuming he got nipped to death, given the wounds and got blown around the sandbed but not sure. Everyone else is the picture of health and is eating. New to this so not sure what to look for.
Note: this is a fully cycled 60 gal tank with live rock, sand and corals. Can‘t really call it QT but using it for that purpose - building a larger system and hoping to transfer in a month or so. I have UV running.

IMG_0675.jpeg
This fish shows heavy signs od aggression and bullying UNLESS the inverts did this damage after it died.
Hard to tell anything with a dead carcass however did you notice any weird swimming behavior, heavy breathing, loss of appetite as examples before lights out?
What other fish and inverts are in the tank?

OP
OP
alpenreef

alpenreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish shows heavy signs od aggression and bullying UNLESS the inverts did this damage after it died.
Hard to tell anything with a dead carcass however did you notice any weird swimming behavior, heavy breathing, loss of appetite as examples before lights out?
What other fish and inverts are in the tank?
1 springeri damsel and 2 other clowns that are a few weeks older than him and one other from the same litter. I have conch and a bunch of hermits. The 2 new clown arrivals seemed to have been accepted nicely, haven‘t noticed any aggression this past week, or any signs of stress / weird behavior.
I am gonna assume bullying and hermit crab got him when he was down.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back