Damsels: Single or in Group

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like to have a blue fish for my 32G long reef, so I'm wondering what I can do to keep a damselfish aggression to a minimum?

I've heard that they have a tendency of focusing their aggression on each-other, would keeping damsel alone dissipate this aggression or would this simply mean that it would harass other fishes instead?

currently considering a Azure or Springeri, which species is less aggressive in your experience?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are very hardy and active fish. BUT, they are aggressive. My experience has been the blue species in the Chrysiptera family are less agressive toward other fish than the species in the Dascyllus family ( 3 stripe, dominos).

I had to remove the dominos I had because they attacked every other fish in the tank. But I have three blue/yellow tails that seem to ignore the other fish for the most part and only attack me when I put my hand in the water.

If you decide to get more than 1, get them at the same time. They will definitely attack any of their species that are added after the fact.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springer or azure are good choices. They are relatively peaceful and would fit in the tank.

What else is in there?

Edit: I would just get 1

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been always told to keep 1. In groups they form some sort of gangs and become very territorial and aggressive.
And I would personally go with the azure.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been always told to keep 1. In groups they form some sort of gangs and become very territorial and aggressive.
This is more common with the genera that aren’t Chrystophera. I would go for the springer due to them being more blue and black, some of the rarer colour mixes in fish are blue and black. black and a darker colour that isn’t grey or similar are often harder to find in fish (I’d guess due to how hard it is to find darker colour coral in the wild?).

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is more common with the genera that aren’t Chrystophera. I would go for the springer due to them being more blue and black, some of the rarer colour mixes in fish are blue and black. black and a darker colour that isn’t grey or similar are often harder to find in fish (I’d guess due to how hard it is to find darker colour coral in the wild?).
I didn't choose the azures because of coloration. out of all the damsel species I tried keeping azures were the least aggressive ( based on personal and other hobbyist experience)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back