OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that union cracked or is that a mark leftover from a sharpie? Short of cutting it out you could undo the union put a shop vacuum up to the pipe and suck in some pvc glue into the joint. I have done this with success before when I really didn’t want to redo a section of pipe. Put your hand or a towel over the other end of that pipe to force the glue to get sucked in
It's a sharpie mark. I temporarily used some plumber's tape, and this weekend I will finally have time to turn the pumps off long enough to silicone that leak.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t silicone it. Turn off the pumps, wipe with primer and glue. I’ve done this with super slow leaks before and they are fine. Make sure you don’t drop anything into the sump!

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut out a C shaped piece of pvc and snap it over the pipe. Apply some pvc glue and slide the C over the glue. 20 seconds later with some pressure on tbe C and its permanently glued.

I like this, but I think maybe if you cut a ring from a coupling or elbow that fits this diameter pipe instead of a c of the pipe itself, the fit may be better covering most of the circumference.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t silicone it. Turn off the pumps, wipe with primer and glue. I’ve done this with super slow leaks before and they are fine. Make sure you don’t drop anything into the sump!
I already tried the primer and glue part. It slowed the drip further, but didn't stop it. :/

I like this, but I think maybe if you cut a ring from a coupling or elbow that fits this diameter pipe instead of a c of the pipe itself, the fit may be better covering most of the circumference.
This might work on the original leak, but I found a second leak in another problem area. Because of some odd angles, I'd had to cut out a section and replace it with flex pvc. I don't know if that trick will work with the flex pvc, even if I do happen to have a spare couple in the right size.

Have I mentioned before how much I hate plumbing?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since that is at a union and you can get to the inside of the pipe and where that connection comes together, I think I would stop the flow through that pipe, open up that union, clean & dry the inside of the joint (make certain it is completely dry), then go all around the inside of the joint with PVC cement, using the applicator. Let it dry and reconnect. I would rather seal from the inside, if possible. My 2¢ anyway.

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loctite marine goop. Its my go to on all leaks. Only thing I wont use it on is building an aquarium, I don't like the white look.
Loctite marine goop. Its the bomb, everyone needs a tube.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back