Leak between Threaded elbow and bulkhead. Tried everything.

kazeespada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leak between a threaded elbow and my bulkhead. It is NOT the gasket as it's not leaking from the bulkhead itself, just where the elbow and bulkhead meet.

I tried tape at first, still got a leak. So, I switched to thread sealant, but it is still leaking through the sealant. What else can I try to get this threading to stop leaking?

The tank is plumbed for a canister filter so that's why the plumbing is a little weird.

IMG_20240121_133302.jpg IMG_20240121_133713.jpg

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a leak between a threaded elbow and my bulkhead. It is NOT the gasket as it's not leaking from the bulkhead itself, just where the elbow and bulkhead meet.

I tried tape at first, still got a leak. So, I switched to thread sealant, but it is still leaking through the sealant. What else can I try to get this threading to stop leaking?

The tank is plumbed for a canister filter so that's why the plumbing is a little weird.

IMG_20240121_133302.jpg IMG_20240121_133713.jpg
I can't see where the leak is. Is it between the black and white material?
If so what did you use to join them?

OP
OP
kazeespada

kazeespada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see where the leak is. Is it between the black and white material?
If so what did you use to join them?
Leak is visible on the second picture between the black bulkhead and the white elbow. It's "on top"(picture is sideways so its actually on the side). They are joined using threading and "RectorSeal T Plus 2 PTFE Pipe Thread Sealant"

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
If you have to, you can just unscrew it, put pvc cement, screw it back on, and glue it together so it won't leak....but you wouldn't be able to unscrew it again....but it won't leak.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought when I saw the plumbing "hanging" from the bulkhead was it's a gasket leak in disguise. That drip appears to be coming from the 90° to bulkhead connection like you say though.

My next thought focuses on what appears to be mould imperfections inside the bulkheads threads in your checked for cracks photo.

I would try tightly wrapping as much Teflon tape on the threads as I could still get to thread into the bulkhead. Trying to compensate for those imperfections.

if that still leaked, I'd swap bulkheads.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Leak is visible on the second picture between the black bulkhead and the white elbow. It's "on top"(picture is sideways so its actually on the side). They are joined using threading and "RectorSeal T Plus 2 PTFE Pipe Thread Sealant"
Are you certain that you have matched threads?

If one is metric and the other imperial you can be close but no cigar.
What brand is the bulkhead fitting?

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you make sure you removed all the left over tape? I use this Loctite 567 and have never had a leak using it, it is expensive

OP
OP
kazeespada

kazeespada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A

Are you certain that you have matched threads?

If one is metric and the other imperial you can be close but no cigar.
What brand is the bulkhead fitting?
I don't know, it came with the tank. The guy who made it for me said it's a 1 inch bulkhead.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s cracked in the last picture. It lines up with the “SC” where the street L is marked sch 40. It also appears that the street L is too tight as there’s no threads showing. That’s not good with pipe threads. That or the bulkhead is metric and the threads aren’t correct for the 90°.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to be very careful using Teflon tape on male threads into cheap ABS bulkheads. They crack really easily. I’d be inclined to replace the bulkhead then use thread sealing paste. Silicone sealant works well as a thread sealant but you have to let it cure for a few days.

OP
OP
kazeespada

kazeespada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your advice. Currently, the leak has stopped completely. I will keep your advice in mind if the leak ever does return.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white PVC fitting may have cracked when you threaded it into the bulkhead. I have done similar damage when I used a wrench to tighten PVC fittings. I hope not, but I would keep an eye on it and the bulkhead because over tightened plastic may split down the road. If the bulkhead is threaded on the inside I would have a1" plug handy in case something springs a leak later.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back