Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - A Recovering Build...

twpilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Daniel looking good man!!. I should be getting my build thread going soon too! Hope your move to Cali has been going good for ya!

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that it probably needs to be said again, but I'll say it anyways. Amazing job on that stand man! Absolutely love the idea of repurposing the crate. I'll be following along...

Phil Cusimano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Looking forward to getting this thing going!!

Got more done on the stand today.

20160926_130843.jpg

20160926_130856.jpg

I told you guys that I'm not the master carpenter on this job, here's Jason working his magic. :) (He may be joining the ranks of the reef community soon...he wants an aquarium...thinks he wants freshwater...but I'm wearing him down. :D )

20160926_133109.jpg

20160926_133120.jpg

A pic from behind...the back will be detachable, but normally left in place. (Shown without the back on below)

20160926_133641.jpg

And here's the semi-finished product. I still need to stain and seal the outside and also paint the inside.

20160926_172946.jpg

20160926_173345.jpg

20160926_173858.jpg

20160926_173931.jpg

Did my best to leave it with the crate look. There's a latch on the outside and a keyed lock on the front (I have preschoolers) and the hinges, but otherwise it's retained the crate exterior. The inside has a shelf built into it (separated by 3 joists into 3 compartments). Overall, I'm pretty proud of the results so far. :) :D
Awesome ... enjoy the spoils of victory!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! Glad it made it in one piece!

Great job Daniel. Envious of that sump.

Said it before, I'll say it again...way too nice to be closed up in a crate...lol. Make sure the access door is easily opened because you're going to be showing this thing off!!!

Thanks guys! I absolutely love the sump! @geo knocked it out of the park with that one! I can't wait to get it plumbed in (I have some cool colored plumbing from @AquariumSpecialty that I'll be using for that. ;)

Very cool cube! I'm loving the crate stand and that sump is killer looking! Tagging along on this one for sure!

Thanks, bro!

Awesome work on the stand. LOVE IT!

Thanks guys! I'm pleased with how it turned out. :D

Wow, lots of goodies there. Can't wait til this thing has water.

Me too!! (And it's taking longer than I wanted to get it there!)

Wow! Love the stand idea and the way you pulled it off. Congrats!

Thanks!

Congratulations this is a clear example of something built with knowledge good taste and top-of-the-line toys, all the best Mr. Mdbanister, for sure this is going to be a Diamond from the Kings crown Mr. reef2reef!!!!!

Thanks so much for the kind words! Now I'm just hoping I can make this reef one for the books once I get water and livestock in it!

Didn't know you did the glaze already. looks sweet! I use general finishes products and they make a super high quality top coat called enduro clear poly.

https://generalfinishes.com/profess...ealers/enduro-clear-poly-topcoat#.WAhVu4m3PSA

Thanks for the recommendation, bro. I already had the clear coat bought for it, or I might have gone with this.

I'm hoping I can pull off the in-stand lighting we've been talking about. I just need to stop procrastinating and order the rest of the pieces. :D

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along. Looks great

Thanks! :D

Hey Daniel looking good man!!. I should be getting my build thread going soon too! Hope your move to Cali has been going good for ya!

Thanks, bro! We're loving Cali! Glad to see you on here! You should start a build thread. I'd definitely follow. :)

Following. Stand is awesome and that sump is as much a piece of art as the tank is!

Definitely following, really liking the repurposed crate came up really nice. Oh and I have sump envy!

Very Nice Build, That sump is just Sick !!! love it

Awesome Build so far!

Awsome! Love the stand idea!!

Thanks, so much guys!!

Awesome build so far can't wait for updates.

Thanks! I'm hoping to have a good update for tomorrow if at all possible. HOPEFULLY it will have the tank on the stand...hopefully... ;)

Not that it probably needs to be said again, but I'll say it anyways. Amazing job on that stand man! Absolutely love the idea of repurposing the crate. I'll be following along...

Thanks! Some of the guys at MACNA suggested it would work, and after looking it over, it just needed a little reinforcing. I'm glad it has turned out! :)

Awesome ... enjoy the spoils of victory!

Thanks! :D :D

Looks awesome! Love using the crate. GEO has really stepped up his game recently. Loving the new looks and options.

Thanks! @geo has got some really great products. I want one of their calcium reactors to go under this thing...I wonder if those can come in red... :)

Very cool build! Love it bro! [emoji4]

Very nice build bro keep them updates coming.

following

Thanks guys! Hoping to have another photo update soon! I appreciate you guys following along! :)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have any pictures to update right now. I have been (slowly) finishing up the stand with clear coat on the outside and white paint on the inside. I also had to cut some feet to elevate it a couple of inches so that the door will open with no problems (it'll also help me with keeping the base dry). I'm hoping to have it totally DONE by tomorrow so I can start working on the aquascaping. This thing has already been dry for way too long!! :mad: <----Impatient

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Simply an amazing build thread! Turning the crate into a furniture quality stand for your tank and sump is over the top inspiring. Very nice tank and sump too. Congrats!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back