Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - A Recovering Build...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only other concern was that with the heightened dose of Fluconazole, the fish might suffer in some way. Maybe @Humblefish or @melypr1985 could speak to that concern?
Again, being fungal and not bacterial fluconazole is not a drug I have looked into much in my Nem studies, so I can't help you there, but @Humblefish may have a better answer.

I have no actual experience using Fluconazole for any purpose, but a public aquarium I advise has used it to treat systemic fungal infections in FW systems. 200mg/gal per day for 5 consecutive days. Works pretty well with minimal fatalities. I understand it is a bit more hit or miss when used to treat Bryopsis.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no actual experience using Fluconazole for any purpose, but a public aquarium I advise has used it to treat systemic fungal infections in FW systems. 200mg/gal per day for 5 consecutive days. Works pretty well with minimal fatalities. I understand it is a bit more hit or miss when used to treat Bryopsis.

Do they dose 200mg/gal every day without water change?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they dose 200mg/gal every day without water change?

At first they didn't. But after doing more research, they started changing out 20-25% in-between dosages. Cheap to do in a freshwater system, ya know? But the curator once told me he didn't think it was really needed and fish mortality rate stayed about the same.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel, here's what most people do...

Let it run it's course. Do not dose a second dose unless it comes back, if it even starts coming back... Dose it. If you "pull the plug" without letting it 100% die off, it will survive and bounce back.

Gotta let it 100% die. High odds you have exactly what I had, and that's what I had to do.

NCreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Now I'm leaning toward doing a WC at 14 days and redosing. Maybe @NCreefguy will chime in too.

Yeah I read early on that UV would degrade the meds but so many people has used this treatment successfully without changing their lighting or removing UV that I'm not really sure if it knocks it down that much. I know the Bryopsis dies off quicker in higher lighting than the lower lit areas.

Since your treatment is working, I would let it go for around 21 days if you still see anything left around the 14 day mark. Then if you have to,do a wc and run another treatment.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I would continue on your plan just skip the week wait. From the little I read, it degrades close to like 250ishnm which is WAY lower then most of our lights go and is honestly in UV sterilizer territory. The only part I would disagree with @Rakie onis I would go ahead and do my second dose as you planned to ensure 100% dieoff.

Either way it may not really matter, I just look forward to how it works for you and reading about the progress. Oh and any pictures of you slapping @Rakie would be greatly appreciated :p

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it to treat briopsis at work. It was amazing that all briopsis was gone within days. It didn't do anything for bubble algae and I ended up with dinos afterward, but we got all that taken care of with regular maintenance. I wouldn't be too concerned for the fish while dosing this, but the corals and inverts would be top of my worry list. Let the algae die out completely and save the rest in case any of it comes back. You're lucky it's taking care of all your algae!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So...I got this today...

box.jpg

And here's what was inside :D

lineup.jpg

1 (1 of 28).jpg

Here they are 1 by 1 (I do this for easier identification later)

1 (1 of 22).jpg

1 (2 of 22).jpg

1 (3 of 22).jpg

1 (4 of 22).jpg

1 (5 of 22).jpg

1 (6 of 22).jpg

1 (7 of 22).jpg

1 (8 of 22).jpg

1 (9 of 22).jpg

1 (10 of 22).jpg

1 (11 of 22).jpg

1 (12 of 22).jpg

1 (13 of 22).jpg

1 (14 of 22).jpg

1 (15 of 22).jpg

1 (16 of 22).jpg

1 (17 of 22).jpg

1 (18 of 22).jpg

1 (19 of 22).jpg

1 (20 of 22).jpg

1 (21 of 22).jpg

1 (22 of 22).jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you serious dude? We spent an hour today talking about fungus and you had new sticks to show us?

shame

SHAME

SHAME!!!
LOLOL!! They were acclimating during our discussion. :D

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DUDE THATS BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP and BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEp you little BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DUDE THATS BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP and BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEp you little BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!
Hahahahahahaha!! Well, I didn't want to derail our discussion. LOLOL!! I was getting very helpful info from you guys. :D :D Just think with all of that algae gone, I'll have room for even more sticks!

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to add new friends to the DT today, but they all immediately went and hid under the rocks so it will be at least a day or two until the come out. I did see one of them out roaming around tonight when the moonlights came on so hopefully I get to do an update tomorrowish.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got to add new friends to the DT today, but they all immediately went and hid under the rocks so it will be at least a day or two until the come out. I did see one of them out roaming around tonight when the moonlights came on so hopefully I get to do an update tomorrowish.
Cool! So we'll soon see some pics in your build? :D

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I don't even want to talk about the 32gal right now. It is literally sitting in the exact same place it was before all the hurricane prep, outage and recovery happened. I was literally hoping to get some work done on it tomorrow. Got home from my neighbors tonight from helping him mash up pomegranates for wine and noticed gas was leaking out from under my 4 wheeler, so guess what I'm NOT working on tomorrow :( Like literally all I have to do is paint and cut three pieces of trim and I'm ready to start plumbing it but NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo. Apparently gas leaks are a little more important...sigh.

Hopefully new fish pics in the 60 tomorrow though.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude I don't even want to talk about the 32gal right now. It is literally sitting in the exact same place it was before all the hurricane prep, outage and recovery happened. I was literally hoping to get some work done on it tomorrow. Got home from my neighbors tonight from helping him mash up pomegranates for wine and noticed gas was leaking out from under my 4 wheeler, so guess what I'm NOT working on tomorrow :( Like literally all I have to do is paint and cut three pieces of trim and I'm ready to start plumbing it but NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo. Apparently gas leaks are a little more important...sigh.

Hopefully new fish pics in the 60 tomorrow though.
Ugggghhh. That sucks, bro. Well, at least we can look forward to fish pics in the 60. :) Hopefully things start getting somewhat back to normal for you guys.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we'll see what Maria says about all of that...sigh

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are a few shots from around the reef!

First we have Davey Jones (my one-eyed diamond goby) and the McCosker's
1 (2 of 28).jpg

Another pic of Davey Jones
1 (16 of 28).jpg

The clowns (my kids named them "Nemo" and "Bad Guy Fish" ...I find it amusing that Bad Guy Fish is the girl) :D
1 (3 of 28).jpg

My 2 favorite chalices (at least my favs in my collection): Jelly Bean and CB Bugatti
1 (4 of 28).jpg

The one on the right is the AL Rainbow Eye
1 (5 of 28).jpg

The new kid in the tank is my Hawaiian Fairy Wrasse (thinks she's a flasher though)
1 (6 of 28).jpg

Here's the McCosker again
1 (7 of 28).jpg

Rainbow infusion palys (ignore the strands of bryopsis in the pic...they're dying off right now)
1 (24 of 28).jpg

1 (8 of 28).jpg

Here's a pretty good pic of Bad Guy Fish
1 (9 of 28).jpg

This guy is actually the meanest snake in the tank. This Blueline Flasher Wrasse pretty well keeps everyone else in check.
1 (10 of 28).jpg

McCosker's showing his fins
1 (11 of 28).jpg

My clam still chillin' and growin'
1 (12 of 28).jpg

Random acro pic. I like the colors on this one (wish I could get a better pic)
1 (13 of 28).jpg

My colony of Vivid's Rainbow Delight is growing out nicely. :)
1 (18 of 28).jpg

The rest of these will be an assortment of fish pics.
1 (14 of 28).jpg

1 (15 of 28).jpg

1 (17 of 28).jpg

1 (19 of 28).jpg

1 (20 of 28).jpg

1 (21 of 28).jpg

1 (27 of 28).jpg

1 (22 of 28).jpg

1 (23 of 28).jpg

1 (25 of 28).jpg

1 (26 of 28).jpg

1 (28 of 28).jpg