Danny's Aquariums Filtration

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am not sure where to post this because it is a random question so this is where it ended up. The youtube "Danny's Aquariums" makes setup builds of all of his aquariums and they look beautiful, but I have never seen him install a filter other than natural ones like rocks and sand. Is there a method of reefing that I am missing out on that he uses?

Thanks in advance!

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am not sure where to post this because it is a random question so this is where it ended up. The youtube "Danny's Aquariums" makes setup builds of all of his aquariums and they look beautiful, but I have never seen him install a filter other than natural ones like rocks and sand. Is there a method of reefing that I am missing out on that he uses?

Thanks in advance!
You can always start off with rock and sand, especially if the rock happens to be highly porus. Typically people want to ramp up the number of fish so you'd plan by default to put in a skimmer, I see no reason why you'd do without one given the benefits of nutrient transport and aeration.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always start off with rock and sand, especially if the rock happens to be highly porus. Typically people want to ramp up the number of fish so you'd plan by default to put in a skimmer, I see no reason why you'd do without one given the benefits of nutrient transport and aeration.
I think he literally just wants the tank to look cleaner. I think he just keeps his bioload really low (just 2 clownfish in a 40 gallon) and that allows him to have nearly no means of nutrient control besides coral.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing new as some people have been doing this for decades.

A successful reef aquarium can use just live rock/live sand as long as it is set up properly and is balanced (no excessive fish load, lots of coral, good CUC and husbandry).

IME/IMO, additional filtration is an option and should be based on addressing specific concerns within the system, not just added willy-nilly or because it's trendy.

Last edited:
Back