"dark Hobby" documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already seen it, another forum had a link here which had early access but it doesn't seem to be working right now.

To be honest they made good points in large parts of the film. Without doubt some of it was PETA nonsense, but most of it seemed reasonable and based in truth.

You either have to be lying to yourself or totally uninformed to think this is a morally fine hobby. We do take animals out of the ocean to put them in small glass boxes for our enjoyment at the end of the day. For every fish that makes it to a LFS, many don't. Poor people are collecting with with Cyanide every day for pennies so vendors can sell these fish for hundreds in some cases.

People who say things like "I'm saving the ocean with my reef tank" are not well informed...

If you're going to be in the hobby just accept it's a selfish hobby. You value your enjoyment of these animals over the lives of these animals. It is what it is...

After watching it I'm focusing on tank bred fish where I can but I'm also researching these fish in the wild. I'll never buy a butterfly fish after watching this film. They mate for life, pulling them out and separating them seems cruel.

But I've got no issue with gobies and blenny's from the wild, 70% of them are eaten every week in the wild. I'm confident that they have a longer/better life in my tank. They are also tiny fish.

It's worth watching, it's a fair attack on our hobby. We all know that this isn't good, we all agree that tank bred fish and coral propagation is the future. If this film makes it happen a bit faster then it's good.

Will all due respect:

People who say things like "I'm saving the ocean with my reef tank" are not well informed...
I'm not well informed... I am saving the ocean with my reef tank. Our LFS does not stock Banggai Cardinalfish so we plan to breed them (from our captive-bred pair) and sell them to the LFS. We'll then donate that money to places like Coral Reef Alliance to help protect the world's reefs. If possible I'd also like to work with this company down in Marathon that is growing coral to repopulate the Florida Barrier Reef. And there has to be a saltwater version of CARES that we can join. Just because you don't think we can save the ocean with our hobby, doesn't mean it's true.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry folks this thread has degraded and it’s time to close it up.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back