Dark spots on harlequin file fish

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
I have two orange spotted filefish that are doing great right now and chubby off masstick. They’re definitely my favorite fish.

So I was really happy when I saw a third for free one on Facebook from someone who was breaking down their tank. I was really disappointed when I noticed after he arrived that he’s covered in dark uniform marks and behaving strangely. He first swam in circles almost like he had a neurological problem, then he nose dived, then he swam normally for a second (this is all in the water he came in). I acclimated him to QT water and he seemed to be doing even worse. I assumed he’d die in QT as he was belly up but he’s been holding on (he arrived around 9am and was dropped off by someone who lived close by) and has now nose dived into a piece of fake coral decor I keep in the QT setup. Is this a disease or something that can be treated?

I am not too knowledgeable about fish diseases I’ve been lucky enough not to have had a fish with one so maybe it’s an obvious one. The owner told me the water conditions were bad as it was her sons neglected tank from when he moved out. I’ve attached a photo here. I really hope he’s not a goner.

C5A6A9E6-5941-4604-84AC-262695BD1DAF.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Another pic
Need clearer pics under white lighting as I can barely see anything.
Hi guys
I have two orange spotted filefish that are doing great right now and chubby off masstick. They’re definitely my favorite fish.

So I was really happy when I saw a third for free one on Facebook from someone who was breaking down their tank. I was really disappointed when I noticed after he arrived that he’s covered in dark uniform marks and behaving strangely. He first swam in circles almost like he had a neurological problem, then he nose dived, then he swam normally for a second (this is all in the water he came in). I acclimated him to QT water and he seemed to be doing even worse. I assumed he’d die in QT as he was belly up but he’s been holding on (he arrived around 9am and was dropped off by someone who lived close by) and has now nose dived into a piece of fake coral decor I keep in the QT setup. Is this a disease or something that can be treated?

I am not too knowledgeable about fish diseases I’ve been lucky enough not to have had a fish with one so maybe it’s an obvious one. The owner told me the water conditions were bad as it was her sons neglected tank from when he moved out. I’ve attached a photo here. I really hope he’s not a goner.

C5A6A9E6-5941-4604-84AC-262695BD1DAF.jpeg
There is a normal black marking on tail. The dark crest on belly indicates this is a male. Cant see rest in pic

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is a normal black marking on tail. The dark crest on belly indicates this is a male. Cant see rest in pic
I know what the gender spot is. I do have 2 others. I’m talking about the darker brown spots on the body of the fish. Unfortunately I can’t catch him right now he’s hiding in some macros but I’ll try to get a picture later. My other ones do not have these marks.
2B20B378-51CA-404C-BD66-DB69DD890A0B.jpeg

OP
OP
alannasfishies

alannasfishies

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please see in comparison to one of my healthy ones, not talking about the fin.

Attachments

• 0C938E20-A973-4700-902C-6E52A89EED22.png
    0C938E20-A973-4700-902C-6E52A89EED22.png
    691.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 0C881C38-FD3E-4DB0-92C7-476C127B040A.jpeg
    0C881C38-FD3E-4DB0-92C7-476C127B040A.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 36

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Please see in comparison to one of my healthy ones, not talking about the fin.
These are stress marks which will go away. Assure good water quality and diet. Is fish eating for you?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back