Data to share - PAR readings for 2x XR15 with middle XR30 - and 2x XR30 with middle XR15

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I finally got my hands on a PAR meter. I wanted to share my data with everyone. I was playing it by ear with my lighting setup, I had zero idea these things were cranking out the amount of PAR they were. When I get my additional XR30 setup on Tuesday, I will update this post. These are all Gen 5. It's Pros for the XR15s and the XR30s are Blues, so when I run "full blues" the XR15s are cranked to 100% (before overall point intensity is set), but XR30 I have at 80% as "full" to get a better spectrum blend and close to flawless match on color across the tank.

I didn't feel like playing with schedules and having everything at peak spectrum and intensity, so this is based on my schedule that I originally setup (that I will now dial back since it's way too much).

Schedule setting tested - my peak custom schedule I created which had the middle XR30 running at about 70% overall intensity and the XR15s on the outside at 80% overall intensity. My schedule ramps up with "full blues" and whites about 50%, and then a 3 hour peak exposure of full spectrum "full blues" with whites and other colors at 100% too. So maybe add another 10-15% to these numbers at everything completely maxed out.

My internal tank dimensions are 58"L x 24"W x 23"H and water line sits an inch below the rim, which at 21" above sand which is about 1" deep.

From edge to the 2 outside XR15s' fixture edge is 9", and spacing between the edge of 2 of either fixtures is 8". So left internal edge - 9" gap - XR15 - 8" gap - XR30 - 8" gap - XR15 - 9" gap - right internal edge. The lights sit on RMS mounts and are 8.5" above the surface of the water.

All measurements are taken with powerheads on and return pump on with an Apogee PAR meter.

At just a hair below the surface between the 2 fixtures, my PAR is 700

Overall view to give an idea of how the lights are spaced:
IMG_3444.jpg

Overall PAR grid (some numbers I couldn't get because of the rockwork):
PAR numbers.jpg

And an idea of what placement of corals would get:
oie_imbndwmencgv-jpg.3352960

Once I get the the other XR30, I'll redo the test with the same schedule. For now, I've dialed back my schedule already to get the top of the rocks to about 350 PAR max and the middle between 200-250 and the sand no more than 100-150.

Hope this helps someone considering mixing XR15s and XR30s. oie_imBnDWMenCgv.jpg

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful - I'm sure those without a PAR meter will appreciate this!
Thanks!

I know there’s people with multiple XR30 or XR15 … so I wanted to show how the blend would be. XR30 would have to be dialed back a lot to even out the PAR when placing next to XR15.

alpacaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s awesome, I’ve got 2x g6 xr15 blues on now and a g6 xr30 blue coming this week for my 48” tank (Red Sea peninsula 500) so it’s great to see how things panned out for you.

With my xr15s maxed, I’m getting about 180-220 par where my acros are @~12” below water line, and 50-80 on the sandbed. Looking forward to the xr30 showing up so I can nuke those sticks!

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome, I’ve got 2x g6 xr15 blues on now and a g6 xr30 blue coming this week for my 48” tank (Red Sea peninsula 500) so it’s great to see how things panned out for you.

With my xr15s maxed, I’m getting about 180-220 par where my acros are @~12” below water line, and 50-80 on the sandbed. Looking forward to the xr30 showing up so I can nuke those sticks!
What about in between the XR15s? They don’t jump up from the shared PAR?

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, it’s a pretty even spread. They’re 9” off the water and 16” apart (on center).
Oh wow, yeah those are really spread out. G6 also have wider spread too with a little less hotspot in the middle.

So you’re going to add the XR30 to the middle like I did? This data is basically what you’re going to see … probably closer spacing because of 1ft less tank length, but then G6 so probably overall the numbers will be close.

Are you planning on swapping the XR15s to 30s later?

alpacaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh wow, yeah those are really spread out. G6 also have wider spread too with a little less hotspot in the middle.

So you’re going to add the XR30 to the middle like I did? This data is basically what you’re going to see … probably closer spacing because of 1ft less tank length, but then G6 so probably overall the numbers will be close.

Are you planning on swapping the XR15s to 30s later?
Yep that’s the plan, with the xr30 parallel to the tank. Should be perfect.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that’s the plan, with the xr30 parallel to the tank. Should be perfect.
You can group all of them together but what I would do is separate the XR30 and copy over the schedule you’re using, then dial back the schedule by 25% compared to the XR15 schedule.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back