Radion Size and Qty Opinions For New Build

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had no issues with Mobius. My router/access point is about 15 feet from the tanks so maybe that's why. And I'm using Gen 6 XR-15 so maybe they've resolved some issues since the Gen 4.
The time changing is the only problem I have but it enough to prevent me from purchasing anymore ecotech gear. I have 9 devices that ran perfect using ecosmart live. I wanted to add another mp40 and according to ecotech the new ones will only work on mobius so I upgraded all devices. That's when the trouble started.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't just think it. I own the lights and have measured their effective coverage and falloff. I know, whacky me, but after 40+ years in this hobby I only speak from experience.

I bought XR30s and found that while they do have a greater coverage when you set them high enough to have a useful PAR at the edge of their coverage the hot spot they create and the gradation of light to the edge of the coverage creates a very uneven light in the reef. Running them high enough to get a useful PAR at the edge also means a lot more heat concentrated directly under the light.

By using more lights, the XR-15, I can cover the same area with some overlap and a more shadow free, consistent light. You can also fine tune the light for the type of corals they're over. Frag rack on one end of the tank has a higher light level etc..
Thanks for the detailed reply, I am still a bit unclear on some of what you said though. The extra penetration you spoke about initially is a direct result of the hotspot created by simply slapping 2 XR15 panels directly next to each other, so, in my mind, all things being equal, It happens in the center where the two panels would have had overlapping light, right? This would create an oval shaped hotspot that is twice as wide as a single XR15, and because of the strong light in the center, it gives you more punch down, but it should also give you more useable par lengthwise, too. I do not doubt for a second that they go further down, that wasn't my initial hesitation to what you said. It was that that was the ONLY benefit, and I just can't see how that's possible when the dimensions of the light also changed.

If you have 1 XR15 at 50% intensity, and 1 XR30 at 50% intensity, the XR15 will have a smaller footprint AND not be able to reach down as far as the XR30. Am I wrong in that thinking? If so, can you try and explain again why? I am really just trying to understand it...

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, with tanks up to 24" deep, the XR-15 at 100% will give me a PAR of at least 150 on the sand, 22" to the sand, and nearing 370 at the surface. To use an XR30 I'd be running 2 of the same LED pucks but they're right next to each other. I can get 300 PAR at the sand but that's way more light than I want. Great for deeper tanks but of no benefit for me.

If I use 2 RX-15s spaced about a foot apart I can run them at 70% for 225 PAR on the sand, much more even coverage and less power usage. A pair of XR-15 will consume 195W at 100% and an XR-30 consumes 215W at 100%. The heat is less with a pair of XR-15 as well. The two pucks aren't side by side, the light doesn't get as hot for the same output as an XR-30 and therefore less time the fans are running. Plus the amount of heat radiating into the tank is less so less time running fans or a chiller on the tank.

Beside the added benefit of being able to stagger lights, putting an XR-15 where I have more SPS and/or frags.

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go xr30 over xr15s, you’ll be happy you did trust me. I just replaced my gen 6 blues with pros, the spread and par are leagues better and you’ll have much more headroom (for clarity, blues v pros is preference, my comment on spread/par/headroom was comparing the 30 v 15. Whoever/whatever you land on, enjoy your lights!)

Last edited:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, with tanks up to 24" deep, the XR-15 at 100% will give me a PAR of at least 150 on the sand, 22" to the sand, and nearing 370 at the surface. To use an XR30 I'd be running 2 of the same LED pucks but they're right next to each other. I can get 300 PAR at the sand but that's way more light than I want. Great for deeper tanks but of no benefit for me.

If I use 2 RX-15s spaced about a foot apart I can run them at 70% for 225 PAR on the sand, much more even coverage and less power usage. A pair of XR-15 will consume 195W at 100% and an XR-30 consumes 215W at 100%. The heat is less with a pair of XR-15 as well. The two pucks aren't side by side, the light doesn't get as hot for the same output as an XR-30 and therefore less time the fans are running. Plus the amount of heat radiating into the tank is less so less time running fans or a chiller on the tank.

Beside the added benefit of being able to stagger lights, putting an XR-15 where I have more SPS and/or frags.
Ok, I think we're actually on the same page as far as staggering of lights, spread, etc. You get better spread from 2 lights because you can position them further apart, reducing the hotspot in the center, and this strategy makes sense for tanks that are 24" deep or less... I am totally on board with that part of the conversation and agree with your assessment on that front. My thoughts on the matter had more to do with lateral footprint of a single light vs a single light. The XR30 has a larger lateral footprint than an XR15. The XR15 only covers 24" x 24" x 24", while the XR30 conceivably covers 36" x 24" x 24" (vs 48 x 24 x 24 from 2 XR15's), this results in a higher par central hotspot than the single XR15, and as a result, gives more uneven light distribution between the central hotspot and the edges of those given dimensions, but it does cover more. Is that your assessment as well?

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have one sleek fixture that could keep sps anywhere in the tank

Coverage Area SPS:
48"x24"
Coverage Area Mixed Reef:
58" x 24"
Coverage Area Softy/FOWLR:
65" x 24"

Ignore my crap on top of it. It comes with the tank mount legs and a hanging kit so you could choose either method. And after you become a successful sps keeper with football colonies it supports attaching led bars as supplements

79429C8D-7980-44CF-A812-E4743DD5AAE0.jpeg
This is off topic, but what lid are you using on this aquarium? The light looks good too.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think we're actually on the same page as far as staggering of lights, spread, etc. You get better spread from 2 lights because you can position them further apart, reducing the hotspot in the center, and this strategy makes sense for tanks that are 24" deep or less... I am totally on board with that part of the conversation and agree with your assessment on that front. My thoughts on the matter had more to do with lateral footprint of a single light vs a single light. The XR30 has a larger lateral footprint than an XR15. The XR15 only covers 24" x 24" x 24", while the XR30 conceivably covers 36" x 24" x 24" (vs 48 x 24 x 24 from 2 XR15's), this results in a higher par central hotspot than the single XR15, and as a result, gives more uneven light distribution between the central hotspot and the edges of those given dimensions, but it does cover more. Is that your assessment as well?
Yes

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Respectfully disagree, it’s not the same comparison. If you run a tank with 15s at 100%, you’re not replacing them with 30s at 100%, so the more power radiating from 30 isn’t accurate, if you put 190w into the system and it meets the needs, great, but I can hit 190w with 15s or 30s.

Your fans on 15s will run longer and harder at the same output than the 30s. You’re just not pushing the 30s as hard at the same output.

OP
OP
V

vortexreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't spend a penny on radions. Mobius can't even keep time correctly. Nothing like waking up at 3am and the lights are on. This has been an ongoing problem with mobius and I haven't heard that it has been fixed. I loved my gen 4 XR15s until I upgraded to mobius.
I'll add another vote for reefbreeders photon. I have two 32s and a 24. The photons smoke the gen4xr15 radions in a par test.
How would you compare the color and coral color and growth off the reefbreeders vs Radion?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back