David Saxby's Tank and more.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the Video Davids suggests keeping the water correct and the rest will follow, Is he correct? Lighting won't follow and feeding won't follow so even though water quality is right at the top of the list IMO it's not as simple as keeping the water quality right and the rest will simply follow. I know he suggests water quality if the most important but we can't single out and make statements such as the rest will follow. Maybe he didn't mean it but I have heard that or similar so many times. What do you think? David has a fantastic large reef aquarium of that there is no doubt but there is no reason why a much smaller tank can't be just as good square foot for square foot as his.
Jealous who me?
You bettcha I am :p

Mr tap water

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think he means by that is if you can keep the water quality good meaning keeping The chemistry stable in the water along with good filtering is the backbone of things and if you can do that The rest will fall into place with The lighting etc. And not meaning how it sounds you only need to look after the water.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I think he means by that is if you can keep the water quality good meaning keeping The chemistry stable in the water along with good filtering is the backbone of things and if you can do that The rest will fall into place with The lighting etc. And not meaning how it sounds you only need to look after the water.
Yes, I think your right. Might give some people the wrong impression when there are so many things very important to keeping a successful reef tank, however. I never did like that saying in truth so I guess I am also biased.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched this video yesterday and I tend to agree that keeping the water correct is the most fundamental aspect of keeping a reef aquarium. I hope my new system can one day achieve the same success as David Saxby's reef.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched this video yesterday and I tend to agree that keeping the water correct is the most fundamental aspect of keeping a reef aquarium. I hope my new system can one day achieve the same success as David Saxby's reef.

What you might not be aware of is the number of times it's been completely rebuilt due to issues but you won't find that by Googling it. Looks very impressive now as his previous rebuilds have done, I hope he can keep it that way this time.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that keeping the water right is the most fundamental thing. You can still get good results with less than perfect lighting or flow if the water is right, yes with the trifecta you will see better results but even with amazing lighting and flow you will struggle without the right water stability.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many parts of the puzzle. One only has to read post's to realize that it is not always that simple. Good water quality is very important and so is lighting and pest control and etc... I have seen many tanks have issues that one would say had perfect water.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many parts of the puzzle. One only has to read post's to realize that it is not always that simple. Good water quality is very important and so is lighting and pest control and etc... I have seen many tanks have issues that one would say had perfect water.

Agreed, IMO it's the whole package that leads to success, (or failure). Sure water quality is very important but light, feeding compatibility of stock which must knit together like a big jigsaw.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back