OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that the Sheriff and his anemone have upped and moved to the rock work on the left side of the tank! Lately Ruth had taken up residence in the back of their den and maybe she just pushed them out altogether. Fish tanks are hostile places at times.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is well with the LPS tank. Its more open looking with the leathers, acans, and some of the mushrooms moving into the seahorse tank. I like seeing more negative space to add an artistic dimension to the tank. All in all I am happy with it.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some sad but not unexpected news: Firefly, my purple firefish goby died. He's been looking his age and frail lately and I'm surprised he hung on this long. He ate well right up til the end and he was 5 years old or more. I think that's a good lifespan for a firefish. RIP Firefly.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RIP Firefly!

Firefly was a tough little fish. He survived a chiller malfunction last December that cooled the tank to below 50 degrees. I will miss him.

Attachments

• 100_8008.jpg
    100_8008.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 180
OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a dumb thing about a month and a half ago.... I got the "not so bright idea" of using the water from our dehumidifier. I have used it in my irons for years because I was told that it is like distilled. Well recently some of my corals just haven't been up to par-in fact I lost a torch and am losing a Duncan. I couldn't put my finger on what was the problem since most of the corals looked alright. I decided to google dehumidified water. It is not distilled, it is considered gray water and not even recommended for your houseplants! Uhhg! I guess copper and aluminum can leach from the coils along with with picking up airborne contaminants. Wow, that's scary, its a wonder I didn't kill everything. Needless to say that I did 2 big WCs in 3 days and everything looks pretty good. Lesson learned. I shared just in case I am not the only one out there who would do such a thing.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about you torch and duncan. I'm sure it will work itself out.

Thanks Diamond. I'm sorry that I didn't google dehumidified water before I just went ahead and started using it. My clam wasn't up to par but seems to rebounded so I am very happy about that. Everything else looks good and I think the tank is pretty much back on track now. It was good I remedied this before my seahorses came.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is good you caught it as quickly as you did and got things back on track.
I haven't seen your seahorse thread lately, I'll have to go have a look.
Also i was sorry to hear about Firefly.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is good you caught it as quickly as you did and got things back on track.
I haven't seen your seahorse thread lately, I'll have to go have a look.
Also i was sorry to hear about Firefly.

Yes, I miss Firefly but he lived a pretty good life. He was looking elderly for awhile so I'm pretty sure his was just old age and it was his time.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made another change in the aquarium system. I had a big koralia in the bowfront along with a nano koralia. The pony tank also had a nano koralia but with the necessary netting to protect seahorse tails from impellors and a XH tank it was not near enough flow. I decided to switch and put the big koralia in the pony tank hoping the nano would be enough for the bowfront. It appears to be a good move as the corals in the bowfront look fine, maybe even better than normal. The clam definitely likes it better as the big koralia blew on its mantle some. The softies all extended their polyps and inflated so that they look great! Everybody is happy, including me.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just returned from a 9 day mission trip to Colombia, SA last night. I was hoping that nothing would go wrong with the fish tanks as the young lady we hired to care for my mom in law also fed the fish but she isn't an aquarist. The good news is that once I clean the glass the tanks never looked better. The corals and fish looked great and all is well.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome! So cool that you had the opportunity to do mission work in Colombia!!

I get nervous when I go off, but it's always exciting to come back and see the amazing growth that happened while I was gone.

Get us a shot of that tank when you get a chance!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! So cool that you had the opportunity to do mission work in Colombia!!

I get nervous when I go off, but it's always exciting to come back and see the amazing growth that happened while I was gone.

Get us a shot of that tank when you get a chance!

I will take a pic when the seahorses arrive that I ordered today, how about that?

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight I noticed that my curlique anemone looked huge. Upon investigation I discovered it is in the midst of dividing. Whoa dude, what will I do with 2 of them? Do they both need their own hosting pistol shrimp or will the Sheriff take care of both of them. Does one of them vacate the premise or do they both live together? So many questions I don't know the answer to.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back