OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were out for 30 hours, I need to get a bigger generator, Mrs was complaining the only thing getting getting power was the the fish tanks. I ran the pumps and heaters & reefbrite strips. I have way to many radions to run everything together, I have 16 xr 30's, I would need another generator for them only. She was not a happy camper!!
Ha ha, I had to chuckle that all the electricity your generator made went to the fish tanks! It's all about priorities, after all. I am glad to hear that everything was ok at your house too, including the fish tanks. Yes, I foresee a bigger generator in your future. LOL

I was going to run my return pump instead of a power head but the inverter must not have put out enough muscle for my variable speed return pump to push it's normal flow. The flow was slower and I was afraid my HOB overflow might lose a syphon. It works great but it must have the right flow to keep air bubbles from building up in the U tube. My heaters are down in the sump and I could have brought one up but with the kerosene heater and the fireplace I wasn't too worried about the temperature, especially since it wasn't real cold outside.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today our local club sponsored a coral show/frag swap. It was really good for my tank, not so much for my wallet. I really went in hopes of maybe seeing NPS gorgs to buy but the last 2 years I had not seen any. One vender had some really nice red and yellow gorgs so got 1 of each.

However I also came home with a Duncan frag (with 3 heads), a gsp frag and a coco worm. And I bought a small magnet frag rock to put on my back wall where I hope to grow the gsp.

It was nice seeing friends at it too. Great day and hopefully pics coming soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20230402_164456435.jpg
IMG_20230402_164502527.jpg
IMG_20230402_164529584.jpg
IMG_20230402_164511551.jpg

The top pic is the tank with the new coral. Pic 2 is of a new Duncan frag and a red NPS gorgs. Pic 3 is a yellow NPS gorgs and the 4th pic is gsp on frag plug mount as I am hoping to grow it on the back wall. I probably should experiment with moving the gyre to a new location.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking really nice Dawn!
One thing to watch, don't let the gsp grow onto the gyer.
Thanks Kevin. Yes, I actually moved the gsp away from the gyre this morning as I figured that would not be good if it grew into the gyre.
Everything I bought looks even better today! I hope I can keep the NPS gorgs now that I feed a bigger variety of liquid foods. My ornamental tree sponges and scallop still look good so I am optimistic.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested PO4 and NO3 again today to see how stable my nitrates and phosphates are with the auto fish feeder on the tank. I did not do a water change last week. I won't be doing one this week either since they are the same as last test. I am pleased the tank is so stable since I will be out of town next week and Dave is fish sitting for me. All he has to do is give them one frozen cube twice a day. I will probably do a water change when I get home.

All of this is good info in preparation for our 3+ week trip to Alaska this summer. It would be awesome if I could do a water change before I go and the tank not need another until I get back. Then my sister and son will only need to check the ATO and feed frozen on the days they come.

Last edited:
OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank still seems to be doing well on the new water change schedule which is about every 3 weeks. The coral look very nice, except the new gsp which doesn't look good at all. The macroalgae also look good and the fish are doing great. Today I cleaned the glass with a scraper instead of being lazy and only using the magnet cleaner. It always looks way better when I use a scraper and I really should do it more often but you know how it goes. Good is good enough.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked my NO3 and PO4 again today and they are holding steady at nitrates 10 ppm and phosphates at .5 ppm. Thats good news that they are holding so steady although nitrates are lower than I would like. I would be ok if I could get them as high as 35 ppm before we go.

I am wondering if I should up the frozen feedings to 2Xs a day and then if the nitrates are still not high enough go to 3Xs a day. I do not want the macroalgae to strip the water of nutrients while we are gone. I think I will teach my sister how to prune the macros too so they stay somewhat in control. Its mostly the ulva and then the red titan that will need attention as they grow faster than the others.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

kevinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are to dose a little sodium nitrate and see if you can bump it up a little.
If you increase feeding I fear Po4 will jump up, I have never dealt with 0.5, seems too high.
If it's been running this good for some time in these parameters I really wouldn't touch a thing.
You have had a pretty good run lately, tank is looking nice!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thoughts are to dose a little sodium nitrate and see if you can bump it up a little.
If you increase feeding I fear Po4 will jump up, I have never dealt with 0.5, seems too high.
If it's been running this good for some time in these parameters I really wouldn't touch a thing.
You have had a pretty good run lately, tank is looking nice!
I hear you Kevin about the phosphates being so high. Other folks on the forums almost gasp when they hear what my phosphates are. All I can figure is I know macroalgae utilize phosphates especially, perhaps more than nitrates. I am guessing that is why I do not have a lot of nuisance algae which is what you would expect with PO4 being so high.

On RC in the seagrass/macroalgae topic Michael Hoaster told me about the redfield ratio, which has to do with the carbon, nitrogen and phosphate ratio in the ocean. Maybe you are mindful of this ratio with your tank? I think it is C-106 N-16 P-1
(I really have no idea what the carbon is in my tank and I guess according to Michael it is the limiting factor with growing plants, which is why some folks growing macroalgae and seagrass set up CO2 reactors. One bubble a second is suppose to be perfect but I never wanted to risk nuking my whole tank if something went wrong.) Anyway, unless I don't understand the ratio of NO3 and PO4, I am not far from that in my tank which is why I haven't strove for parameters more in line with conventional reef aquaria. Am I thinking of this wrong?

My reasoning for bumping up the frozen food was that I heard frozen food would increase nitrates and freeze dried foods will increase phosphates, but maybe your suggestion of dosing sodium nitrate is a better solution to get the tank ready for the trip. When we go on our trip the tank is going to get more freeze dried because that is what I can use in an auto feeder. I am trying not to stress over my tank in regards to this trip but I am feeling some anxiety. It has never looked nicer and I hate the thoughts that this trip could derail it.

Last edited:

kevinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always available for testing your parameters while your gone and can report them to you and relay any thing you want done to your tank sitter (or me).
Simple changes we make can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to notice results (good or bad).
I'm always a believer if going on a trip (which I've been on a few) don't mess with success.
Paletta tells me the ratio with N03 & P04 is 50:1 better yet 100:1

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always available for testing your parameters while your gone and can report them to you and relay any thing you want done to your tank sitter (or me).
Simple changes we make can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to notice results (good or bad).
I'm always a believer if going on a trip (which I've been on a few) don't mess with success.
Aw, thank you. That is very kind. I had asked Ted if he would be willing to be a back up and look at the tank if my sister or son thought something looked off. It might not hurt to have a back up for the back up in case Ted is out of town visiting his daughter, ha ha!

Michael Paletta's ratio of 50:1 is close to what my tank always ran until the last 3-4 months when the nitrates dropped from 35 down to 10 ppm. Now I am thinking that I probably should dose nitrates. I still have almost 2 months before we leave on June 25th. That should be enough time to get the nitrates some higher.

I need to quit stressing over this however. I quit keeping seahorses because I did not want to be a slave to my tank. With Dave retiring and our kids out of state, I want to be free to leave my tank on auto pilot occasionally.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered calcium nitrate from EVS B ionics. I wasn't sure of the grade or dosage of sodium nitrate and I read a post from Randy Holmes Farley that the calcium nitrate keeps the balance of alkalinity and calcium more in check. Also I use EVS B ionics 2 part and felt comfortable that their product is for aquarium use. I am guessing that instructions will come with it. I probably also should order new test kits as mine are pretty old. Chi- ching$$! Well the tank doesn't really cost me a lot to operate it so I guess I can spend some money to try and safeguard it.

kevinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes get some test kits (recommend Hanna No3 & thier Po4 test))
Test 12 hrs. then 24 hr then 48 hr. after ur initial dose and record the useage.
I really don't think it will drop to fast. I dose a 300 gallon 1/2 ml every hour, very heavy stocked.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think it will drop to fast. I dose a 300 gallon 1/2 ml every hour, very heavy stocked.
Hhm, now I am confused Kevin. I thought dosing the calcium nitrate was going to increase my nitrates, not make them drop?

Unfortunately I already ordered the Salifert test kits. I have always heard that Hanna tests are the best but I am familiar with Salifert. Is there a big difference?

kevinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will increase the nitrates when you dose it, but the coral and macros will consume it and it will drop back down by being consumed.
Testing often will tell you how much your consuming per day.
I always test what I dose with in a few hours of dosing it to see how much the dose raised the numbers then follow up tests on a daily basis to see how much is used daily.
Sailfert tests are fine, I use them as well. I only use the Hanna's for No3 & Po4.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will increase the nitrates when you dose it, but the coral and macros will consume it and it will drop back down by being consumed.
Testing often will tell you how much your consuming per day.
I always test what I dose with in a few hours of dosing it to see how much the dose raised the numbers then follow up tests on a daily basis to see how much is used daily.
Sailfert tests are fine, I use them as well. I only use the Hanna's for No3 & Po4.
Ok, thank you and yes, now that makes sense. I will do what you suggested and try to get a picture of how much the tank is utilizing per day.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ya all, I should have bought the new Salifert test kits before I made any adjustments, LOL. This morning I tested with both the old tests kits and the new ones. It turns out that they have an expiration date on them for a reason, ha ha! The old kits gave me the same readings I have been getting: NO3 10 and PO4 .5, however the new kits read: NO3 50 and PO4 1. Wow, I guess I better go back to my weekly water changes and maybe even do 2 water changes for a few weeks until the nutrients come down a little.

Now what do I do with the bottle of calcium nitrate, LOL?

kevinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry now that I spilled that sample of water I took when I came to visit!!
Every once in a while I would take my water to the store and test it there.
I also have 2 different brands of test kits for each parameter I'm testing also.
I still recommend you take your water and have it tested somewhere.
Always, always, when in doubt water changes are your best friend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back