OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I also ordered All for Reef. I don't use much alkalinity, calcium and magnesium and IO salt was always enough but now that my tank is more mature I do not do as much water changes. I thought I better dose more than just Coral vite for trace minerals, hence the All for Reef.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made a longish (11+ minute) narrated video of my tank yesterday. Last week a nem had parked on the ATO float valve causing almost 10 gallons of fresh water to be dumped into the system. Amazingly only a few feather duster worms seem to be affected from the .3 points of drop in salinity. I am sad to lose the feather dusters but extremely thankful not to lose anything else. I am pondering now how to remedy that situation. For starters, I am going to switch the 10 gallon tank to a 5 gallon clean salt bucket and not fill it full. Then in the event of another incident not as much water will be added. I am also trying to think of a way to cage in the float valve so nems and crabs can't get to it. Anyway, here is the video:

Your tank is absolutely stunning. Enjoyed watching this very much! Thank you for sharing and if you ever get the chance to, would love to see another video of your progress since.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is absolutely stunning. Enjoyed watching this very much! Thank you for sharing and if you ever get the chance to, would love to see another video of your progress since.
Thank you for watching such a long video. So kind of you to comment nicely. The tank is a bit more crowded looking since coral and macros have grown but it's still doing very well. I have lost a few of my older animals but last week I got 2 new fish and hope to get new shrimp in the next couple of months. I will try to clean the glass and take a new video update soon since it's been almost a year since the last one.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's been a year since my last narrated tank tour so I figured it was time for an update. The display has filled in and corals have grown. A couple older fish passed on but were replaced by new fish. I mis-spoke on the last coral I said it was a trumpet but it's a cabbage. I also should have said that the tank is entering it's 8th year.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's been a year since my last narrated tank tour so I figured it was time for an update. The display has filled in and corals have grown. A couple older fish passed on but were replaced by new fish. I mis-spoke on the last coral I said it was a trumpet but it's a cabbage. I also should have said that the tank is entering it's 8th year.

This is such a beautiful tank

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your coral is doing great!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soft corals are woefully underappreciated
I think so too. I love how some sway and move with the flow, it so serene. There are some very nice colors, and although I have never had long term luck with them, some folks have gorgeous zoas!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think so too. I love how some sway and move with the flow, it so serene. There are some very nice colors, and although I have never had long term luck with them, some folks have gorgeous zoas!
Yeah it's very relaxing. I also love the plating sponge. My only concern is how fast I've heard they can grow. My local store sells theirs which is a similar blue plating sponge that has that classic plating montipora look a lot, but they have a concerningly large numbers of fresh looking frags of it usually haha.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your coral is doing great!
Thanks Gumbies R Us! I always describe myself as a fish person first and then a macroalgae appreciator, and finally a struggling coral keeper! However, after about 25 years I have learned which corals I can keep and which ones are better in someone else's tank, LOL. Why frustrate myself with trying to keep something that languishes (in my tank) when there are easier choices that can flourish? So that is what I have done.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's very relaxing. I also love the plating sponge. My only concern is how fast I've heard they can grow. My local store sells theirs which is a similar blue plating sponge that has that classic plating montipora look a lot, but they have a concerningly large numbers of fresh looking frags of it usually haha.
The sponge you are seeing at your local store is probably related to this purple sponge. I saw at the local store that I bought this one from that it took over one of their large tanks, after I had already purchased mine. So I am diligent about removing mine from places that it starts and I don't want it there. It is nice that I can rip a large section off to give someone and 2 months later it's beautiful again.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomorrow I have an order from KP Aquatics coming, a pearly jawfish, a Coral banded shrimp and a nano red ball sponge! I am really excited about the jawfish as I have never had one before but always wanted one.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My order arrived and just like all my orders in the past, KP Aquatics did a wonderful job packaging and sending my order. The jawfish came in a small section of PVC netted on both ends in a big bag of water. After it was acclimated for temperature I put the PVC in the tank in a trenched area and removed the netting. I saw him spitting sand and setting up house keeping right away which I will take as a good sign. I will keep you all posted on that.

The shrimp also was good and so was the sponge. I am very pleased.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back