Dbrewsky's 120 Gallon Build

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A straight forward 15-gallon water change last night turned into a system test and clean up when I forgot to turn off my skimmer and it drained an inch of standing water into my stand!!! I honestly don't know how I forgot to turn off the skimmer, but I am glad that I took the time to fully enclose, seal, and thoroughly paint the inside of the stand. After several towels and fans, you couldn't tell there was a spill in the first place! ;)

I always forget to turn off my r/o and come home to find a huge mess. At least it's fresh water I guess. [emoji1303]

OP
OP
dbrewsky

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, I did that twice back in college when was filling 5-gallon buckets in my apartment at the time and either fell asleep or forgot. Needless to say, my downstairs neighbors did not like me at all and I definitely did not get my deposit back!

OP
OP
dbrewsky

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE 10/06/2016

Speaking of RO/DI, it was time for a overhaul of the RO/DI filter, including replacement of all stages AND the RO Membrane. This unit is approaching two years old, and over the last month or so I have noticed a decrease in production, even though the PSI entering the membrane remains constant.

So out with the old and in with the new!

I went ahead and replaced the RO flush valve/flow restrictor and the ASOV as these parts are considered limited life and are pretty cheap in scheme of things.

IMG_4164.JPG

Now, I can confirm after beginning the Red Sea Reef Care Program, that it does in-fact work!!! I have seen an dramatic increase in color and coral growth, while seeing reduction in nuisance algae and improved water quality. I am still dosing a WAY lower than recommended starting dose for the time being as I transition to this system. I think a lot of the negative views on this system are either people dosing max daily dosages on day 1 or are only using one part of the system such as reef energy.

It has definitely reduced the maintenance on the tank as I am no longer forced to clean the glass every 2 days. Right now I am cleaning the glass twice a week, and realistically would only need to do it once a week, but the way my corals are coloring up I want that glass crystal clear!!

I will do a real update of the progress with this system in the near future. I spent a good bit of time last evening enjoying the tank while a cold front moved in.

Tis' the season!

(note the highlighter yellow tint from the reef energy I just dosed)
IMG_4176.JPG

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stopping in to let you know I just read your total build thread in preparation for my 120. Tank looks great after all! The way you mounted your light is similar to how I have mine on my current tank. I think on the 120 though I wont be running a canopy.

edit: What RODI are you running? I assume the BRS one?

Peterski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about your plumbing. I purchase a 120 oceanic tech used tank. I see you have 3 pipes draining into your sump and one out flow ? Is this the way to go or have to pipes draining in and two flowing out (1 left and 1 right)

Do you recommend a single loc line or Y reducer (double) loc line. Would it make a difference in flow ? So far I have a 12 mag pump that I purchase for a deal ? Should that be sufficient enough ?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back