DC vs AC Skimmer... What are your thoughts?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as skimmate performance, there isn't going to be a difference, only that the way you achieve the proper flow through the skimmer body is done differently.

If your DC skimmer is putting out frothy skimmate it's because it's tuned to do so. You can achieve the same goal with an AC pump.

The benefits are as gablami stated. It boils down to preference, longevity over efficiency. for most people it's a moot point and you stick to what you're familiar with.
Not necessarily. The adjustability of a dc, speed controllable pump allows another knob to tune the pump to your bioload.
With ac, one size fits all.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Siterlimonpot
You can turn down the speed of a dc pump and reduce volume of water/air entering the skimmer. This is different than an ac motor which runs at constant speed, no adjustment.
Ac motor aways at 100% speed
Dc motor with controller (is varios) 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100% speedz

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just inherited this Marine Technical Venturi skimmer and am looking for a pump to run it. Apparently I can use whatever return pump I want as long as it has enough output. It came with an external Iwaki pump, but i want to run it in sump. I hear this is an awesome unit if I have the right pump and I’m leaning toward a DC pump.

481310BA-4105-4587-A4BF-DB3377601B1C.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just inherited this Marine Technical Venturi skimmer and am looking for a pump to run it. Apparently I can use whatever return pump I want as long as it has enough output. It came with an external Iwaki pump, but i want to run it in sump. I hear this is an awesome unit if I have the right pump and I’m leaning toward a DC pump.

481310BA-4105-4587-A4BF-DB3377601B1C.jpeg
Is there a gph rating on the Iwaki, that would help with the size of dc.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Siterlimonpot
You can turn down the speed of a dc pump and reduce volume of water/air entering the skimmer. This is different than an ac motor which runs at constant speed, no adjustment.
I see, my point was that you can achieve the same settings but through mechanical means. Instead of slowing the pumps RPM you would restricts flow through the reactor with a gate valve.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Siterlimonpot
This is my deductive reasoning, please correct me if I'm wrong. If I were to buy say a Deltec 1000 and went with the AC , the skimmer will be tuned to ideal settings for whatever system they tested it in and I may or may not be lucky enough to fall within the acceptable range for said skimmer vs going with the DC and having more adjustment options and ultimately a better performing skimmer ?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a MD-70RLT - 25.6 gal/min ~ 1536 gal/hr...
That looks like strictly a water pump, vs water pump with venturi.

This has more gph, but you can dial back if required

If you think you need the venturi version, just add an 'S' to the part number, varios 6 or 6s.

I don't know which that skimmer requires.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my deductive reasoning, please correct me if I'm wrong. If I were to buy say a Deltec 1000 and went with the AC , the skimmer will be tuned to ideal settings for whatever system they tested it in and I may or may not be lucky enough to fall within the acceptable range for said skimmer vs going with the DC and having more adjustment options and ultimately a better performing skimmer ?
Or if you change fish load, or add a sump or oversize your skimmer, which was recommended a couple, of years ago.
And some skimmers are more forgiving to different conditions than others.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like strictly a water pump, vs water pump with venturi.

This has more gph, but you can dial back if required

If you think you need the venturi version, just add an 'S' to the part number, varios 6 or 6s.

I don't know which that skimmer requires.
This is the Venturi

8230E1BB-55D7-45C6-BA3A-1285D50A2251.jpeg

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went Deltec 1000ix here because it’s an AC pump. Also will run redundant AC return pumps.

Compare product reviews of AC vs DC. More expensive, less reliable. No thanks.
Watched the Deltec video and was impressed with the Skimmer and the anti overflow system. How happy are you with it? What did you have before?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more recent MTC skimmers used mazzei injectors (a brand of venturi). Mazzei need a pressure rated pump to perform at their best, thus the iwaki 70. That probably is overkill, but you may find that flow rated DC pumps perform poorly. There are a few older threads here on R2R on that skimmer.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched the Deltec video and was impressed with the Skimmer and the anti overflow system. How happy are you with it? What did you have before?

Still setting up this tank and getting back into the hobby but I’ve had several Deltec skimmers and calcium reactors and they’ve always performed great and lasted a long time.

tricky_tran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more recent MTC skimmers used mazzei injectors (a brand of venturi). Mazzei need a pressure rated pump to perform at their best, thus the iwaki 70. That probably is overkill, but you may find that flow rated DC pumps perform poorly. There are a few older threads here on R2R on that skimmer.
Thanks for the additional insight! The tank is going into the living room and I’m worried about noise from the Iwaki

Back