DC vs AC Skimmer... What are your thoughts?

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been using a Skimz Leopard 183 skimmer from my previous tank since March on my present set up and I was doing okay with it. Had to tinker with the gate valve and the air limiter thingy to adjust the water vs microbubbles but I was doing okay. Earlier this week I was cleaning my junk/storage closet and came across A Reef Octopus SSS3000 behemoth which I immediately knew was way too big for my puny Pro Clear 200 newly set up, no real organics to speak of, aquarium. Total overkill.

So I soaked it in vinegar overnight and swapped out the Skimz the next day.

This is a set and forget skimmer. One big red knob to adjust water height and thats it. To be honest I was kinda disappointed. I was hoping to for adjustments. Wanted to press more buttons and turn more valves. Make things happen and be able to take the credit for it.
Anyway, I closed the cabinet doors and walked away. Three days went by and I didn't really tinker with anything other than feed the two clowns and stare at the corals through the magnifying glass so I could watch them grow. I needed to add RO water to the ATO today so I open the doors to the cabinet and woah!!!!
The thing had real stinky stuff in there. I mean the real stuff, not the spit the other skimmer was puking up.

So here's my question.... I understand that DC is the wave of the present and future. AC is not as fun to play with and "high tech"/expensive, but is it really that much better or even necessary? I 've been reading the write ups on the newer skimmers and some manufacturers make two versions of the same skimmer, a DC and an AC. Thoughts and comments. Please be gentle, I is sensitive.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll be gentle.

There are lots of older detailed threads on this topic with passionate opinions on both sides. In general what I take from it is that DC pumps are quieter and consume less energy, thus reducing contribution of heat energy into the tank. They are also easier to adjust in terms of flow, as opposed to AC pumps where you need to physically restrict the flow. The flip side is they are generally not as reliable as AC pumps for the price.

ive has an AC bubble king and it worked great. Never skipped a beat, but it poured heat into my tank, about 90W. I got a larger bubble king skimmer with a DC pump, and I’m using 28Ws. And it’s much quieter.

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Right now I have a 150sss a.c. skimmer I'm thinking of swapping to a dc skimmer as 2 sides of my stand are open and all i hear is the hum of the skimmer pump

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m shopping for skimmers right now actually. The consensus seems to be DC is quieter, uses less energy, heats up water less and gives more tuneability as others have said, but they cost more, and have a shorter lifespan. I have only previously had a reef octopus classic 150 and a nyos 160, both ac pumps. For me I would only buy a name brand with an external popular brand pump if choosing dc, like the side mount or beneath the body like some bubble magus models withe the sicce pumps. I’d hate to buy an expensive dc skimmer and then the pump fails after a short time and can’t get a replacement. Or if the control fails, choosing a mass produced name brand would help you find a replacement even if it was used.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been using a Skimz Leopard 183 skimmer from my previous tank since March on my present set up and I was doing okay with it. Had to tinker with the gate valve and the air limiter thingy to adjust the water vs microbubbles but I was doing okay. Earlier this week I was cleaning my junk/storage closet and came across A Reef Octopus SSS3000 behemoth which I immediately knew was way too big for my puny Pro Clear 200 newly set up, no real organics to speak of, aquarium. Total overkill.

So I soaked it in vinegar overnight and swapped out the Skimz the next day.

This is a set and forget skimmer. One big red knob to adjust water height and thats it. To be honest I was kinda disappointed. I was hoping to for adjustments. Wanted to press more buttons and turn more valves. Make things happen and be able to take the credit for it.
Anyway, I closed the cabinet doors and walked away. Three days went by and I didn't really tinker with anything other than feed the two clowns and stare at the corals through the magnifying glass so I could watch them grow. I needed to add RO water to the ATO today so I open the doors to the cabinet and woah!!!!
The thing had real stinky stuff in there. I mean the real stuff, not the spit the other skimmer was puking up.

So here's my question.... I understand that DC is the wave of the present and future. AC is not as fun to play with and "high tech"/expensive, but is it really that much better or even necessary? I 've been reading the write ups on the newer skimmers and some manufacturers make two versions of the same skimmer, a DC and an AC. Thoughts and comments. Please be gentle, I is sensitive.
Both can be effective as skimmers. DC typically use less energy, are controllable, quieter but more expensive.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll be gentle.

There are lots of older detailed threads on this topic with passionate opinions on both sides. In general what I take from it is that DC pumps are quieter and consume less energy, thus reducing contribution of heat energy into the tank. They are also easier to adjust in terms of flow, as opposed to AC pumps where you need to physically restrict the flow. The flip side is they are generally not as reliable as AC pumps for the price.

ive has an AC bubble king and it worked great. Never skipped a beat, but it poured heat into my tank, about 90W. I got a larger bubble king skimmer with a DC pump, and I’m using 28Ws. And it’s much quieter.
I'll agree with you and the energy efficency and the quieter motor. All be it at a higher initial cost and the likelyhood of a shorter operational life?
Thanks for being gentle.
LOL

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Right now I have a 150sss a.c. skimmer I'm thinking of swapping to a dc skimmer as 2 sides of my stand are open and all i hear is the hum of the skimmer pump
I'll agree with you on the noise being and issue. I think the bottom plate not having rubber feet to sit on has something to do with it. I'm thinking of putting a rubber mat under mine and see what happens. I'll let you know

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll agree with you on the noise being and issue. I think the bottom plate not having rubber feet to sit on has something to do with it. I'm thinking of putting a rubber mat under mine and see what happens. I'll let you know
Rubber/silicone pot holders work great for this. I used to have one for my old in sump return pump on my last tank. Quieted down the vibration on the glass a lot.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m shopping for skimmers right now actually. The consensus seems to be DC is quieter, uses less energy, heats up water less and gives more tuneability as others have said, but they cost more, and have a shorter lifespan. I have only previously had a reef octopus classic 150 and a nyos 160, both ac pumps. For me I would only buy a name brand with an external popular brand pump if choosing dc, like the side mount or beneath the body like some bubble magus models withe the sicce pumps. I’d hate to buy an expensive dc skimmer and then the pump fails after a short time and can’t get a replacement. Or if the control fails, choosing a mass produced name brand would help you find a replacement even if it was used.
True. I had an issue with the Skimz shutting off every couple of minutes and happened to have an extra power supply laying around with higher amperage and it's working fine ever since . Just seems like equivalent results with more expense and more chances of something to go wrong.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
44E69B27-8FC5-4EA5-8E71-EC119A057D82.jpeg

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first DC skimmer about 9 mo ago (a Octopus Regal 150-INT). I love everything about it, mainly, the ease of controlling the skimmate production, but also it is dead silent. I have no idea how long the pump will last but am not concerned about that. If it dies I will simply buy a new pump. I'll never go back to an AC.
(I don't like any "space-saver" skimmer where the pump is within the cylinder. The pump takes up too much room making it less efficient).

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the Deltec skimmers website which seems to have a huge following and great reviews here and elsewhere
They sell skimmers in AC and DC for the same price.
ie the 1000
I bought my first DC skimmer about 9 mo ago (a Octopus Regal 150-INT). I love everything about it, mainly, the ease of controlling the skimmate production, but also it is dead silent. I have no idea how long the pump will last but am not concerned about that. If it dies I will simply buy a new pump. I'll never go back to an AC.
(I don't like any "space-saver" skimmer where the pump is within the cylinder. The pump takes up too much room making it less efficient).
I’ve heard that argument before and I believe it to be true all things being equal.
However in the case of the Skimz vs this reef octopus the results speak for themselves.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as skimmate performance, there isn't going to be a difference, only that the way you achieve the proper flow through the skimmer body is done differently.

If your DC skimmer is putting out frothy skimmate it's because it's tuned to do so. You can achieve the same goal with an AC pump.

The benefits are as gablami stated. It boils down to preference, longevity over efficiency. for most people it's a moot point and you stick to what you're familiar with.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not only do you have to conciser AC vs AD ( no not the band) but IMHO you should look in to needle wheel vs venturi skimmers.

if I was shopping for skimmers ( and I might be soon ) I would really take a long deep look at the life reef skimmers hand built here in the US and they last some have been using them for a few decades.

there expandable so if you up grade tank the skimmer can go with you. you can use any pump AC or DC alot of skimmers use proprietary pumps not like reef use what you want. just not need wheel pumps
I dont have one...yet but from what I read on here they are simple and just work period.

its a shame that this hobby builds stuff that will break in a cpl of years. its better for there bottom line and they have brained washed us to think that is the way it is. if you want a solid skimmer deff. look into them.

pulse you can get them in pretty colors to match your scheme if your into that sort of thing.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not only do you have to conciser AC vs AD ( no not the band) but IMHO you should look in to needle wheel vs venturi skimmers.

if I was shopping for skimmers ( and I might be soon ) I would really take a long deep look at the life reef skimmers hand built here in the US and they last some have been using them for a few decades.

there expandable so if you up grade tank the skimmer can go with you. you can use any pump AC or DC alot of skimmers use proprietary pumps not like reef use what you want. just not need wheel pumps
I dont have one...yet but from what I read on here they are simple and just work period.

its a shame that this hobby builds stuff that will break in a cpl of years. its better for there bottom line and they have brained washed us to think that is the way it is. if you want a solid skimmer deff. look into them.

pulse you can get them in pretty colors to match your scheme if your into that sort of thing.
Thanks for the input. Yes I've been on their website after seeing several people recommend them. Wonder if they come is Fuschia? LOL
here is a pretty sweet life reef sump system:
1603477880111.png
Awesome! What return pump? Was a little surprised to see their pump of choice as the Mag Drive.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Yes I've been on their website after seeing several people recommend them. Wonder if they come is Fuschia? LOL

Awesome! What return pump? Was a little surprised to see their pump of choice as the Mag Drive.

yeah me too, not my 1st or 2nd or even 3rd choice to be honest. lol but that is the beauty of them you can use what you fancy.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The lifereef skimmers seem to have a cult like following. The copy on the website is a bit too ranting and raving for my taste. I have spoken with the owner on the phone and found him to be off putting. I am sure the skimmers work great, and it is nice that you can choose to use whatever pump you like, but I don't appreciate the tone of the website or the demeanor (at least on a couple phone calls) of the owner, so I choose to spend my money elsewhere.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lifereef skimmers seem to have a cult like following. The copy on the website is a bit too ranting and raving for my taste. I have spoken with the owner on the phone and found him to be off putting. I am sure the skimmers work great, and it is nice that you can choose to use whatever pump you like, but I don't appreciate the tone of the website or the demeanor (at least on a couple phone calls) of the owner, so I choose to spend my money elsewhere.
Curious, what did you end up buying?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back