thoughts on over skimming..

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I need your feedback here.
long story short I set up a RS 300 XL to be a seahorse tank they are very messy eaters so I went heavy on the filtration.
I have reef mat 500
huge coral box D700 skimmer ( rated for 200-400 gallons)
UV
BRS mini reactor

current only running the UV as I only have 1 fish in there.

decided not to do the SH and pivot to LPS tank focusing on torches and meats.
so the questions is:
go with a smaller skimmer
just over skim
only skim 8hrs a day this is an option but the ATO will go crazy when if turns on/off

I know the current thought is not to over skim. just need encouragement to drop more $$ on a skimmer.

also had the thought of ditching the roller mat for an ATS...not sure why just like ATS

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I replace the skimmer I am thinking of the R.O 150SSS anyone that that one?
I am a huge R.O fan.
other thoughts are a small coral box skimmer.
need to be quite as out head board is right on the other side of the wall. yet another reason to not run the skimmer at night.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 xl with reefmat 500 with a bubble magus curve 5 skimmer. I have an older R.O. 150ss. Been a great skimmer for years but is running on another tank.
My coral started looking bad a couple of months after adding the roller. I thought the roller was pulling too much out so I shut it down. Coral started looking better. What I'm doing now is running the mat and have the drain open to the skimmer and letting it drain into the roller. I may end up just pulling skimmer, still working on things.
You'll probably just have to see what works for you in your tank. I have 4 tanks currently and each runs differently.
Since the tank will be next to your bed maybe turn off the auto advance on the roller at night. I sleep lightly and the sound of the roller advancing would wake me up. My bedroom tank is a reefer 170 with no skimmer and Reef diapers for socks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you be worried about removing with "overskimming"?

I see no reason to be concerned with that possibility.

if nutrients are too low, then I'd feed more or dose N and/or P, as needed.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 xl with reefmat 500 with a bubble magus curve 5 skimmer. I have an older R.O. 150ss. Been a great skimmer for years but is running on another tank.
My coral started looking bad a couple of months after adding the roller. I thought the roller was pulling too much out so I shut it down. Coral started looking better. What I'm doing now is running the mat and have the drain open to the skimmer and letting it drain into the roller. I may end up just pulling skimmer, still working on things.
You'll probably just have to see what works for you in your tank. I have 4 tanks currently and each runs differently.
Since the tank will be next to your bed maybe turn off the auto advance on the roller at night. I sleep lightly and the sound of the roller advancing would wake me up. My bedroom tank is a reefer 170 with no skimmer and Reef diapers for socks.

totally agree each tank is different. one must work with the tank to find the sweet spot.

that's a great idea on turning off the roller advance at night. I have yet to even add the fleece.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you be worried about removing with "overskimming"?

I see no reason to be concerned with that possibility.

if nutrients are too low, then I'd feed more or dose N and/or P, as needed.

:thinking-face: hmmm I guess that would be the cheapest solution and easiest. to be honest I was worried about stripping out all the N&P and causing issues.

just turned on the skimmer it's going great as I had a lot of detritus in the sump so it's is skimming well.
I am not using the fleece in the roller mat yet just thinking long term here as I felt I had more filtration than needed.
but for some reason i did not think about just adding more nutrients to the tank if it became a problem .... not sure why.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back