De-nitrifying bacteria. Substitute for Prodibio Biodigest?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hal3134
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Hal3134

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 26, 2018
Messages
489
Reaction score
323
Location
Longmont, CO
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m old school. Now that Prodibio Biodigest is getting hard to find in the 30 vial size, what do you recommend for reducing nitrite and nitrate? I still carbon dose but need the bacterial component.
 
Bump
I think those bacteria come in with the air. As an old school reefer, I grab sand from a healthy mature system and inoculate both nitrification as well as denitrification bacteria.

Denitrifying bacteria reduce ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate in an oxygen environment. Facultative bacteria, in a reducing environment, break apart the nitrate molecule for the oxygen and release a free nitrogen molecule of gas.

PS: Nitrification bacteria double in population every 20 minutes. Denitrification bacteria take 7 hours to double in population.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new