Dead Anemone?

TPSexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home to see that my anemone had fallen off the rock where has was looking good and healthy from, and was face down in the sand. I guided him on his foot and all of his tentacles are folded in, his mouth is open, and he is flat like a mushroom. My clownfish isn’t going anywhere near it, when he was just hosting it last night at feeding time.
Is my anemone dead? or what can I do to save it?
P.S sorry for the algae, today is supposed to be water change day.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
T

TPSexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

This is a picture from him a couple weeks ago when I bought him. He has looked the same and stayed in the same spot since

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had this guy in the tank? How old is the tank? Can you test and list your current parameters?

An anenome releasing it's for, going face down and a gaping mouth aren't good signs.

The more info you can provide, the better.

OP
OP
T

TPSexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is around 3 years old and has been mostly stable. My clownfish is around two and a half years old and the anemone was qt’d at the pet store for a month before I bought it. I acclimated him for two hours and he has been in the tank for around two and a half weeks. He seemed healthy and was eating last night. The parameters are stable at
Ph-8.3
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0-10
Temp-78
Salinity-1.024

OP
OP
T

TPSexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update-
His mouth is now fully opened and he is coated in white slime. He is also yet to find a complete foothold on the sand.

OP
OP
T

TPSexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I take it out of the tank to try to save my clownfish?
The clownfish is the only fish in the tank, as he was my first saltwater fish and I grew attached to him and didn’t want to risk any harm to him.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the concentration of ammonia released upon death would depend on the size of the tank. it is a very small anemone too so probably not much damage when it dies but best to take it out if its dead already. It is easy to tell when they are dead they kind of just start falling apart .
For anemones i think alkalinity, and calcium are important to test. Are you using tap or rodi water? Anemones also need pretty good lighting and flow, what are you using for that?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also just throw out the nitrite test, not necessary for marine aquariums just extra testing you dont need to do. if buying the test kits, do not buy API test kits, they are garbage. Best to stick to brands like salifert, red sea, and Hanna checkers

OP
OP
T

TPSexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update-
As I just fought COVID, I have yet to regain my sense of smell, but as my mom walked in my room(I’m still in hs) she said it smelled horrible, which I have heard is a sign that it is probably dead. I went to siphon it out and it started like tearing like you said, so I got as much out as possible.

I normally use red sea test kits, but the one I have is very old and almost empty so I used my new API(probably a bad idea but I just wanted fast and decently reliable test. Using my red sea my calcium and alkalinty were 460 and 8.5.

I have used rodi water from my lfs that I have always tested before I did a water change. The tank is a fluval evo 13.5, but I have an upgraded flow system that gives 160 gph, and I have experimented a lot with lights in the past but I have used 2 par38 bulbs from my local hardware store that I have got good growth from euphyllia, softie colonies, and anemones in the past. But I lost my nem around 4-5 months ago in an aiptasia outbreak.

Thank you all for the help, but bad timing I am heading out of town this weekend but I have someone to check on my clownfish to make sure he is doing well, and make sure my whole tank doesn’t go out of hand.

OP
OP
T

TPSexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention I also just did a 20% water change to help eliminate extra added ammonia.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good move siphoning it out and doing the water change, adding some activated carbon can help too (and also helps stop the smelling).
Sometimes nems just dont make it, best to get one that has been aquacultured, or split in someones tank. That way you know its healthy, dont blame yourself though.

OP
OP
T

TPSexton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. My lfs has a long guarantee and all you need is pic proof and a water sample. So as long as nothing else is affected, at least I still get my money back.

NewGuy8899

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. My lfs has a long guarantee and all you need is pic proof and a water sample. So as long as nothing else is affected, at least I still get my money back.
Wow I want to live close to you! That’s a great guarantee!

Back