Dead Clam - What now

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so the clam passed on to clam heaven but no worries. My wife has always wanted a clam shell centerpeice and now she has two 17" decorations, lol. Anyways i dissected what was left and nothing was eating it. Just looks like it died. Definitly had to have been the Squamosa that was added from DD. The question is how long should I wait to add a new clam. Is 30 days enough to clear out whatever infection killed it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is perfect

Ph- 8.2
Alk 9.2dkh
Cal 440
Mag 1450
Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2

Size Reefer 750 XXL 160 gallon display with 40 Gallon sump

Lighting powered by 3 Hydra 52's at at 70%

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, it looked to be on it's way to recovering too, sorry for the loss. I have not heard anything about clam fallow periods, I know that clams with certain pathogens will carry them for life, but if there is no knowledge on how long they live without any clams, you may have to experiment.

Reafer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so the clam passed on to clam heaven but no worries. My wife has always wanted a clam shell centerpeice and now she has two 17" decorations, lol. Anyways i dissected what was left and nothing was eating it. Just looks like it died. Definitly had to have been the Squamosa that was added from DD. The question is how long should I wait to add a new clam. Is 30 days enough to clear out whatever infection killed it?
Is your last name Bundy?

IronChefItaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been pinched mantle but if it came from Divers Den I would more strongly suspect transport stress. Not much is known about the organisms responsible for pinched mantle but I would certainly give it 30 days.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back