Dead Clam

Sdoutreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
453
Location
Idaho
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago I bought a beautiful 1.5" maxima from my LFS, and this morning, it had died. Before I took the little guy home, I visited my LFS 3 times to check up on the clam before I took him home. It was very reactive and healthy and taking daily feedings of Phyto. Two days ago I found it on its side in the morning, and ever since then it just didn't look right. It was still very reactive but its shell seemed to be splitting. I fed it yesterday and it seemed to like the food (it was closed for a while), and after opening, it was not reactive at all and I knew it was going to die shortly after.

I have kept small clams in the past, and still have a couple of them that are very big now. Does anyone know what could have happened? Or is this a risk you take with small clams? IMO, i think a hermit did something to it, or my devil peppermint shrimp that has killed a sea hare in the past..
 
Small Maxima's are susceptible to stress and daily feedings are not needed IMHO. When doing so I'm sure you are causing more harm than good and stressing the clam by movement. Sorry for your loss, I've had problems with Peppermint shrimp pestering them to death too.
 
Thank you. It is a bummer he died. He was absolutely beautiful. I agree, feeding him daily was probably not the best idea, but he "looked" hungry. Maybe because it was stressed out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new