Dead Fish Help

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen my six bared angel for two days. I have looked in every nook and cranny I can. My rock work is pretty open, so I feel I should be able to find him somewhere, plus he's a good sized fish. But nope!

He's been in the tank about 2 weeks and has been pretty shy since adding him. He's either playing a really good game of hide and seek or dead. My guess is he is dead somewhere in the rock work :(

If he is dead, how much havoc will that wreak on the tank? Removing the rock work is completely out of the question (it's all built as one giant piece).

Help :(

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen my six bared angel for two days. I have looked in every nook and cranny I can. My rock work is pretty open, so I feel I should be able to find him somewhere, plus he's a good sized fish. But nope!

He's been in the tank about 2 weeks and has been pretty shy since adding him. He's either playing a really good game of hide and seek or dead. My guess is he is dead somewhere in the rock work :(

If he is dead, how much havoc will that wreak on the tank? Removing the rock work is completely out of the question (it's all built as one giant piece).

Help :(

How big is the tank? If you have a good size clean up crew it shouldn't be that bad in a bigger tank. Did you check behind the tank to see if he jumped, or maybe swam into the overflow?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead fish can vanish with good clean up crew and hungry fish, relatively quickly.

Sorry for your loss!

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have been eaten by his tank mates.
He was the second largest fish in the tank, I don't see the other tank mates eating him. The other fish are tangs and clowns and a few small damsels.

How big is the tank? If you have a good size clean up crew it shouldn't be that bad in a bigger tank. Did you check behind the tank to see if he jumped, or maybe swam into the overflow?
The tank is a 250dd, so pretty large. I'll admit though, my clean up crew is lacking. I lost a lot of snails over the past few months when I switched over to barebottom, and I have been lazy at replacing them. Overflows are checked, behind the tank is clear, I even looked around the tank in general. No signs of a jumper. The only other possibility is IF he jumped, the cat could have gotten ahold of him and hid it somewhere lol.

OP
OP
corey.nolta

corey.nolta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a dog or cat with access to the tank? If he jumped that might be your clean up crew!
That was another thought of mine too. I do have a cat that could have done just that. I don't feel that the fish was a jumper though. It was fairly new to the tank and was pretty shy. Liked to stay behind the rocks at the bottom. Never really saw it in the upper half of the tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People tend to think of the CuC as just those things they added; but it’s much more than that. Includes all variety of worms and bacteria. As noted, a fish carcass can be fully reduced in just s day or two.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back