Dead fish - lessons learned

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a while, my one fish has been picking on the other. I placed the aggressive one in a separate container for a few days, and I've also tried turning off the lights, but after allowing them to be together again, she would go right back to being aggressive again.

How can I avoid this in the future, if it should happen again? What should I have done differently? Would it be a bad idea to get another clown fish, and add it to my tank?

Last edited:

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely you have 2 females. They will not live together. One will kill the other. If you try in the future buy the smallest clown you can find. Pairing in such a small tank can be a challenge, but can be done. If one kills the other, assume it’s female. Only way to pair after confirmed female is to buy a very small clown before it turns female. They go from undetermined, to make, to female, environment dependent. You want to get a new clown that hasn’t determined what it is yet. It will be small.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely you have 2 females. They will not live together. One will kill the other. If you try in the future buy the smallest clown you can find. Pairing in such a small tank can be a challenge, but can be done. If one kills the other, assume it’s female. Only way to pair after confirmed female is to buy a very small clown before it turns female. They go from undetermined, to make, to female, environment dependent. You want to get a new clown that hasn’t determined what it is yet. It will be small.
This is the right answer. They are born without gender and the biggest turn female and a bit aggressive. The smaller ones turn into beta males and stay smaller.

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought them online, they just came as a pair, so I didn't get a say in their sex. But they were really small! Should I avoid buying them online in the future, or is there a way to mention what kind I want?
If I do want to add another one, how do I make sure it would be compatible with mine? Just make sure it is smaller? Is this possible?
What do you mean by this? Or to "mate"?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be fun cleaning that tank

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let the clownfish grow a bit then in a month try to introduce a small juvenile in the acclimation box again. If yours is currently really small you could just add a very large clownfish and she will most likely put that one in its place and it will become the male.

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can they go from female to male?
I've been thinking about buying a small one.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The smaller one will have to learn to be submissive to the bigger. Then the bigger will become female and the smaller will become male. I believe they can switch gender, but they are born a blank slate, so it’s easier to work with them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back