Dead Halloween Hermit? Or Molt?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jamie9
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jamie9

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 4, 2025
Messages
457
Reaction score
438
Location
Mid Atlantic
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fear the answer is dead hermit crab, but thought I’d post to see what people think (photo below). This lovely Halloween hermit crab was among the first few critters into my tank yesterday. After acclimating I put him in and he crawled about 8 inches to some rock and stayed there. This morning I found the below on the sand nearby. It almost looks like there’s still something occasionally moving in the shell but I don’t want to disturb it. All the other new aquatic friends are doing well. What do we think? Dead or molt?

IMG_7134.jpeg
 
Looks dead to me, if you really aren’t sure about the shell keep it for 24hrs and if no movement take it out.
 
I got a better view today, and there was definitely movement in the shell. I think maybe it just molted! Perhaps he was just waiting for a safer place. At the LFS, the inverts are basically in just small QT tanks with maybe a piece of plastic pipe. No sand or rocks for hermits to hide in when they need a little privacy.
IMG_7136.jpeg
 
I'm happy to report an update on this one, in case anybody sees a similar molt in the future. The Halloween hermit is alive and well, it was definitely just a molt. He's now cruising around the tank at will and settled in nicely.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new