Dead Live Rock for Low PO4?

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read to never use dead live rock, as much of the rock will release po4 into the water. This supposedly doesn't happen all at once, but continuously, as much of the dead stuff is deep inside the rock. In my case, this sounds extremely beneficial. I'm constantly having to dose po4 and it seems like no matter what I do, somehow my system always finds its way to 0ppm.

I have a lot of live rock in my system, so would it make sense to take out 10lbs of it, let it dry, then put it in my sump without light? My thinking is that it might buy me some time in-between dosing, so that my po4 doesn't fully bottom out.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read to never use dead live rock, as much of the rock will release po4 into the water. This supposedly doesn't happen all at once, but continuously, as much of the dead stuff is deep inside the rock. In my case, this sounds extremely beneficial. I'm constantly having to dose po4 and it seems like no matter what I do, somehow my system always finds its way to 0ppm.

I have a lot of live rock in my system, so would it make sense to take out 10lbs of it, let it dry, then put it in my sump without light? My thinking is that it might buy me some time in-between dosing, so that my po4 doesn't fully bottom out.
Seems like there would be a more controlled way to add PO4 rather than killing mature live rock….

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there would be a more controlled way to add PO4 rather than killing mature live rock….
Like? My po4 fluctuates heavily, but generally around .15ppm per day. Dosing such irregularities can be cumbersome. I do it and will continue too until equilibrium is reached, but having a continuous output of po4 would help out a lot. I already feed heavy with plenty of excess floating around 4 times a day without a skimmer or filter sock.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like? My po4 fluctuates heavily, but generally around .15ppm per day. Dosing such irregularities can be cumbersome. I do it and will continue too until equilibrium is reached, but having a continuous output of po4 would help out a lot. I already feed heavy with plenty of excess floating around 4 times a day without a skimmer or filter sock.
It would be a huge guess how much PO4 may or may not leech out of newly dead rock.

Years ago when people in Florida were first trying to aqua culture rock guys were getting stuff from old morrow pits and using it (super cheap). It was filled with PO4. This was back when PO4 and NO3 was terrible in a reef tank.

You would be better trying to find something like that maybe.

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Just looking for something with a low output thats continuous.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Just looking for something with a low output thats continuous.
Im sure there are some here that would have a better idea.
I’m just about to consider dosing NO3 but haven’t pulled the trigger yet…

OP
OP
GarrettT

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may just dilute some sodium phosphate and drip that into the tank. This may be the more logical approach. I dose no3 regularly with good results.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may just dilute some sodium phosphate and drip that into the tank. This may be the more logical approach. I dose no3 regularly with good results.
That will give you consistent input.
If you check regularly you can adjust

What do you use for NO3?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back