Dead Mexican Turbo Snail?

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this Mexican Turbo snail (my first) for a few months now, always active. Has been motionless for a week now. Thought it might be dead but the body is tightly packed in the shell, it isn't decomposing and my CUC is not attracted to it. I have flipped it on its feet a few times but nothing happened. I don't want to dispose of it if its still alive based on my ignorance. But if it is dead then I need to remove it from the water asap.

Anyone can help me tell if he's dead or not? Can it be "sleeping" for so long? I know you're gonna tell me to smell it...

Thanks.

Check him out:
Turbo.jpg

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
living snails often retract further into their shell if you even lightly touch their foot. a week of being overturned and not changing positions leads me to believe its moved into the next stage of existance... as a nutrient battery

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
living snails often retract further into their shell if you even lightly touch their foot. a week of being overturned and not changing positions leads me to believe its moved into the next stage of existance... as a nutrient battery
For sure, but why hasn't it decomposed or attracted the cuc? ;Dead

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, but why hasn't it decomposed or attracted the cuc? ;Dead
that foot is the hardest thing on a snail next to the shell. usually it comes flopping out with a bunch of tissue when you go to remove it. also, the stank will be next level so when you dispose its a good idea to bag it if you decide to put it in the trash.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its gone.

I poked his foot and it was as hard as the shell. I think it was partially calcified and bonding with the shell, dont know, but he certainly was dead.

Glad it didnt foul my water but really happy I didnt have to go through the smell test...

Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back